View Single Post
Old 07-08-2003, 07:23 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
CrossRoads

Re: Doubts or confidence?

PianoGirl, without knowing much of anything about you other than your words below, all *I* can say is THANKS! You've about summed up my feelings when I first signed onto this site this evening.

Your tag is PianoGirl, interesting only in that I had tried incorporating my love for guitar in my board name.

We're about on the same DETOX schedule.....it's been close to 3 weeks for me. The first week plus was a complete horror! I'm sure I don't have to paint the picture for you but rest assure, I'm one tryin' my damnest to achieve, perhaps, the same goal(s) you are.

I guess the only thing I can contribute from MY perspective is that, you must stay strong and put blinders on whenever confronted with any sort of negativity.

Your sobering friend in NJ.....

Originally posted by PianoGirl
Hey everyone,

I have been sober now for over 2 months. And to tell the honest truth, I have to say it's not been as hard as I THOUGHT it would be. I had a tremendous and horrific time going through detox - enough so, that even the smell of alcohol NOW makes me sick to my stomach. How could I now hate something I once loved so much? Am I being nieve since I've only a baby when it comes to my length of sobriety? I'm not meaning to sound overconfident or anything, because that's the first thing I don't want to become. But, I always expected that my love for alcohol would just contiune on and on. Now, I view it as an enemy, and I can't stand the thoughts of drinking it anymore.

Have any of you felt this way? What about you guys that have been sober for long periods of time? Does it ever become easy to let yourself get a little too overconfident in your sobriety? How do you handle it? I'm ok for now, but what about in the future when something really traumatic or stressful presents itself? Will it be so easy then? I hardly think so. Any comments are welcome.

PianoGirl:skiptrip: