View Single Post
Old 08-03-2006, 04:41 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Jazzman
Occasional poor taste poster

Hi cmc, wanted bounce something off you..
Originally Posted by cmc
The letting go part starts at infancy and should gradually be complete by the teen years for the most part.
This kinda threw me

It's no small wonder why so many kids today have depression, eating disorders.... I know, I know- We didn't cause it can't cure it etc. I believe that completely.
So did this. But since I don't really know you or your situation I read back through some of your old posts,(not all so I don't know your entire story) and I think I know where you’re coming from now. I think my confusion was an out of context thing.

I would agree that letting go makes sense, but not starting at infancy, this is the beginning of bonding that never has to end in my mind. Even when they grow up and move away from the nest, the opportunity for healthy bonding doesn't stop. Letting go of them in the sense of cutting the umbilical chord, sure. I see that as an age appropriate thing.

As far as depression or eating disorders and we didn't cause it... I struggle with that one big time. I feel we as parents have to own up to any self esteem problems that we either contributed to by poor choices/actions on our part or made worse by inaction.

Originally Posted by cmc
We sure can contribute though!!
I would say we sure DO contribute.

Good luck with your son cmc. That's got to be a tough one for sure. If the addict in my life was one of my sons... I don't know how I would handle that. Best wishes