View Single Post
Old 08-02-2006, 08:04 AM
  # 39 (permalink)  
Blake
I'm an addict.

I still believe it is against the 3rd tradition to have a special interest meeting. I can accept that they very well may help out some people, but the traditions are not negotiable, do the ends justify the means?

I'm still holding on to this 3rd tradition violation b/c of this, What is the intent of a special interest meeting? For similar people in recovery to have a place to get together with each other without the influence of people outside that group. A men's meeting is started with the intent that it is for men's issues specifically and that women should not come to it. Of course if a woman were to show up at a Men's meeting, she would not (or should not) be turned away. It jsut seems to me that the primary purpose of a men's meeting would be to carry the message to the MALE addict that still suffers.

I fully believe that fellowshiping of men with men is a very valuable part of my recovery, that is why I hang out with men, I call men and talk to them, we set up camping trips with men only, I am really good friends with the men in my sponsorship family, during football season we have a bbq for the men in my family at my sponsor's house just about every saturday LSU is playing away. I have a large support system of men in recovery. I got this by them reaching out to me when I was new, by me reaching out to them when I needed them and by reaching out to the new men that come in like people did for me when I was new....I just believe that this is the better way to deal rather than having a exclusive men's meeting.

Todd, yes this is my opinion and I realize everyone has one. THe bulletin that you stated was fellowship approved, never was taken to a vote, it was simply a survey and half the regions didn't participate, so I'd say that the bulletins are simply opinions also. Show me in the literature where it says "special interest meetings are okay to have" so that I can put the issue to rest.

Laurie, I'm glad you brought up this discussion, I have learned somethings from it that I did not know before. Congrats on getting your changes passed, if you are gonna have a special interest meeting, your way is probably the best way to get it done so that everyone feels welcomed.

"in recovery we can disagree without being disagreable" -not sure who said this, but my sponsor really likes this quote.