View Single Post
Old 08-02-2006, 03:57 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Jazzman
Occasional poor taste poster

OT? I don't know?

My #2 son is a huge basketball junkie and plays year round. His summer league team made it to the playoffs (yay) but were eliminated last night in game 2 (awe...). Anyway, there is one boy on his team that is a very good player and he and his Father always get to the game way early and practice shooting free throws. His Dad always giving him pointers on technique, etc.

I was thinking wow! What a dedicated Father spending a lot of time practicing with his son! Of course, my next thought was boy I sure suck as a Father! I don't practice that much with my son. (Too hard on myself at times)

Last night this boy was having an off night, usually being a high scorer on the team. I noticed every time he would make a mistake, he would look up in the stands at his Father. Then I noticed every time he made a good play he would do the same.

Then my next thought was I'm sure glad my son doesn't feel like he needs my approval or acceptance or understanding every time he misses or makes a shot! That can't be healthy.

Being the son of an alcoholic Father and codie Mother sure makes for interesting parenting challenges! So today I laugh at myself for first feeling like an inadequate Father, then being thankful that putting pressure on my kids to perform at perfectionist levels is something I didn't pass on to them.