SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Alcoholism (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/alcoholism/)
-   -   AA Speaker Recordings/MP3's? (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/alcoholism/217049-aa-speaker-recordings-mp3s.html)

MCR 01-05-2011 02:08 PM

AA Speaker Recordings/MP3's?

Hey Everyone,

Today is Sober day 31 for me! Everything has been going well so far....I've been reading alot of AA and other books about alcoholism and going to 4-5 meetings a week. I have seen/heard some people mention listening to tapes or recordings of AA speakers? Is there a web-site or an archive that has MP3's we can download... or places where I can listen to AA material? I'd like to see what kind of information is out there that may help me stay sober!

Thanks!

Mike

Mark75 01-05-2011 02:24 PM

Awesome!! Welcome to SR...

You cannot go wrong with the Joe and Charlie Big Book Study... I've listened to the whole series 2 or 3 times and will again...

XA-Speakers - The lights are on!

DayTrader 01-05-2011 03:04 PM

Awesome name Mike....... you must be cool. ;)

I gotcha on the mp3's...

download and install itunes (if you don't have it already) from the Apple website (it's free).

then go to: http://www.aaspeakers.org/ and click on the orange thingey wearing headphones to subscribe to their poscast. Itunes will start downloading and when it's done, you'll have about 300 talks from all sorts of ppl. Most are from state conventions, or big aa gatherings.....so most of them will be top notch.

If you find a couple speakers you really like.....and want to hear more from them, wander on over to XA-Speakers - The lights are on! and do a search there (first name, last initial of the speaker you liked). XA will probably have a bunch more to download and listen to.

I've listened to 1000's of hours of talks from those sites over the past 3+ years. Heck, I don't even listen to music anymore.

Some guys I recommend (from both sites)

Earl H
Alex S (from Tulsa)
Clancy I
Joe and Charlie (only on XA - download all 20 or 30 talks......they're part of a BB study)
Bob B (from MN)
Sandy B
Robbie W
Chris R
Myers R
Lyle P
David B (from Tulsa)
Bobby C (from Philly)
Bob D (from Vegas) (has open talks and BB Studies)
Joe H (he moved several times but his last name is Hawk, he's American Indian and has lived in Colorado, Texas and Santa Monica, California)
Mark H (Texas)
Mark H & Joe H (Big Book Studies.....several of them)
Mark H & Dave F (Big Book Studies)
Don P (his BB studies are better than his open talks, he was the sponsor to Mark H, and Joe H)
Clarence S (OOOOLD school from Cleveland)
Tim T (Cleveland)

I've got more but that's a TON of hours of talks.... you can start with regular open talks first or BB studies first.....both are great but totally different. As for the BB studies, I'd probably start with Joe and Charlie's BB stuty over the other BB studies since they're a little more fun, not as hard core and easier to understand to someone with under a year in the program. Once youve heard them a couple time, then it's probably ok to move up to Joe H, Bob D, Don P and Mark H (that second group might be hard to understand given your time in AA).

I've gained a lot of wisdom and knowledge through those talks. Besides, "stick with the winners" right? So why not try to learn from the ppl with a lot of time and who were chosen by other AA's to speak because they have a great message / method of delivering that message? :)

good luck to ya.

Mike

MCR 01-05-2011 03:36 PM

Thanks!

Wow! Awesome resources! I do have itunes and an ipod ready & waiting....

Thanks so much for the info & recommendations.

Mike
----

bike1231 01-05-2011 07:27 PM

my suggestion
Karl M. from Covina, CA : The 22nd Tumbleweed Conference in Hobbs, NM : AA Speaker Tapes

patman 01-05-2011 07:54 PM

Thanks guys. I was just thinking to myself that I wish we had a "Night Owls" meeting tonight here in Louisville. I really could use it right now. This thread may be just what I needed.

Shoei 01-06-2011 03:12 AM

Bike1231, I will second that. I listened to Karl M today and he was simply brilliant.

TheSunAlsoRises 01-06-2011 04:38 AM

XA-Speakers - The lights are on!

My favorite series...

Clayton

anew 01-06-2011 04:44 AM

I also purchased the 1st edition of the BB from itunes and really enjoy listening to it.

DayTrader 01-06-2011 05:51 AM

Here's the BB audio (3rd edition), downloadable for free: Audio (Big Book) | ukjohnd.com

savexourxship 01-06-2011 05:58 AM

I've been looking for stuff like this for months to no avail!

Thank you so much!

tsmba 01-06-2011 06:48 AM

I like elmoware.com for AA speakers. Intherooms.com has speaker recordings from many fellowships. Back in the day, one had to acquire cassettes to listen to these, now it can be done for free online. There are other threads about his if you do a search!

Sean4988 01-06-2011 07:15 AM

Originally Posted by DayTrader (Post 2819537)
then go to: AA Speaker Tapes : Listen To Alcoholics Anonymous Speakers and click on the orange thingey wearing headphones to subscribe to their poscast.

Thank you! I was doing it the hard way downloading one by one ;-)

TheMaster 01-06-2011 11:07 AM

I have the big book on mp3, somewhere... It has bonus speakers & stuff.

Veritas1 01-06-2011 11:10 AM

Listen to AA Speakers | Southern Cal Speakers

nowoneday 05-12-2011 03:36 AM

good info..
i tried to post it to Newcomers to Recovery part of the forum, thinking this may help others to cope with withdrawals. but for some reason i can't post links

CarolD 05-12-2011 06:57 AM

Welcome to our recovery community.....:wavey:

Well done on your sober progress
:funjump:

billsaintjames 05-12-2011 07:44 AM

Ditto to listening to the Big Book audio book. I've never attended a meeting but listening to the BB was very helpful to me.

Veritas1 04-24-2013 10:59 PM

Originally Posted by DayTrader (Post 2819537)
Awesome name Mike....... you must be cool. ;)

I gotcha on the mp3's...

download and install itunes (if you don't have it already) from the Apple website (it's free).

then go to: AA Speaker Tapes : Listen To Alcoholics Anonymous Speakers and click on the orange thingey wearing headphones to subscribe to their poscast. Itunes will start downloading and when it's done, you'll have about 300 talks from all sorts of ppl. Most are from state conventions, or big aa gatherings.....so most of them will be top notch.

If you find a couple speakers you really like.....and want to hear more from them, wander on over to XA-Speakers - The lights are on! and do a search there (first name, last initial of the speaker you liked). XA will probably have a bunch more to download and listen to.

I've listened to 1000's of hours of talks from those sites over the past 3+ years. Heck, I don't even listen to music anymore.

Some guys I recommend (from both sites)

Earl H
Alex S (from Tulsa)
Clancy I
Joe and Charlie (only on XA - download all 20 or 30 talks......they're part of a BB study)
Bob B (from MN)
Sandy B
Robbie W
Chris R
Myers R
Lyle P
David B (from Tulsa)
Bobby C (from Philly)
Bob D (from Vegas) (has open talks and BB Studies)
Joe H (he moved several times but his last name is Hawk, he's American Indian and has lived in Colorado, Texas and Santa Monica, California)
Mark H (Texas)
Mark H & Joe H (Big Book Studies.....several of them)
Mark H & Dave F (Big Book Studies)
Don P (his BB studies are better than his open talks, he was the sponsor to Mark H, and Joe H)
Clarence S (OOOOLD school from Cleveland)
Tim T (Cleveland)

I've got more but that's a TON of hours of talks.... you can start with regular open talks first or BB studies first.....both are great but totally different. As for the BB studies, I'd probably start with Joe and Charlie's BB stuty over the other BB studies since they're a little more fun, not as hard core and easier to understand to someone with under a year in the program. Once youve heard them a couple time, then it's probably ok to move up to Joe H, Bob D, Don P and Mark H (that second group might be hard to understand given your time in AA).

I've gained a lot of wisdom and knowledge through those talks. Besides, "stick with the winners" right? So why not try to learn from the ppl with a lot of time and who were chosen by other AA's to speak because they have a great message / method of delivering that message? :)

good luck to ya.

Mike

Bump...for Venuscat and anyone that might be interested...this is a great post from DT about speakers!

Wish we could move this thread to Alcoholism 12 step ....