Notices

AA Speaker Recordings/MP3's?

Old 01-05-2011, 02:08 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
MCR

AA Speaker Recordings/MP3's?

Hey Everyone,

Today is Sober day 31 for me! Everything has been going well so far....I've been reading alot of AA and other books about alcoholism and going to 4-5 meetings a week. I have seen/heard some people mention listening to tapes or recordings of AA speakers? Is there a web-site or an archive that has MP3's we can download... or places where I can listen to AA material? I'd like to see what kind of information is out there that may help me stay sober!

Thanks!

Mike
Old 01-05-2011, 02:24 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Awesome!! Welcome to SR...

You cannot go wrong with the Joe and Charlie Big Book Study... I've listened to the whole series 2 or 3 times and will again...

XA-Speakers - The lights are on!
Old 01-05-2011, 03:04 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
12-Step Recovered Alkie

Awesome name Mike....... you must be cool.

I gotcha on the mp3's...

download and install itunes (if you don't have it already) from the Apple website (it's free).

then go to: http://www.aaspeakers.org/ and click on the orange thingey wearing headphones to subscribe to their poscast. Itunes will start downloading and when it's done, you'll have about 300 talks from all sorts of ppl. Most are from state conventions, or big aa gatherings.....so most of them will be top notch.

If you find a couple speakers you really like.....and want to hear more from them, wander on over to XA-Speakers - The lights are on! and do a search there (first name, last initial of the speaker you liked). XA will probably have a bunch more to download and listen to.

I've listened to 1000's of hours of talks from those sites over the past 3+ years. Heck, I don't even listen to music anymore.

Some guys I recommend (from both sites)

Earl H
Alex S (from Tulsa)
Clancy I
Joe and Charlie (only on XA - download all 20 or 30 talks......they're part of a BB study)
Bob B (from MN)
Sandy B
Robbie W
Chris R
Myers R
Lyle P
David B (from Tulsa)
Bobby C (from Philly)
Bob D (from Vegas) (has open talks and BB Studies)
Joe H (he moved several times but his last name is Hawk, he's American Indian and has lived in Colorado, Texas and Santa Monica, California)
Mark H (Texas)
Mark H & Joe H (Big Book Studies.....several of them)
Mark H & Dave F (Big Book Studies)
Don P (his BB studies are better than his open talks, he was the sponsor to Mark H, and Joe H)
Clarence S (OOOOLD school from Cleveland)
Tim T (Cleveland)

I've got more but that's a TON of hours of talks.... you can start with regular open talks first or BB studies first.....both are great but totally different. As for the BB studies, I'd probably start with Joe and Charlie's BB stuty over the other BB studies since they're a little more fun, not as hard core and easier to understand to someone with under a year in the program. Once youve heard them a couple time, then it's probably ok to move up to Joe H, Bob D, Don P and Mark H (that second group might be hard to understand given your time in AA).

I've gained a lot of wisdom and knowledge through those talks. Besides, "stick with the winners" right? So why not try to learn from the ppl with a lot of time and who were chosen by other AA's to speak because they have a great message / method of delivering that message?

good luck to ya.

Mike
Old 01-05-2011, 03:36 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
MCR

Thanks!

Wow! Awesome resources! I do have itunes and an ipod ready & waiting....

Thanks so much for the info & recommendations.

Mike
----
Old 01-05-2011, 07:27 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

my suggestion
Karl M. from Covina, CA : The 22nd Tumbleweed Conference in Hobbs, NM : AA Speaker Tapes
Old 01-05-2011, 07:54 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Thanks guys. I was just thinking to myself that I wish we had a "Night Owls" meeting tonight here in Louisville. I really could use it right now. This thread may be just what I needed.
Old 01-06-2011, 03:12 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Bike1231, I will second that. I listened to Karl M today and he was simply brilliant.
Old 01-06-2011, 04:38 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

XA-Speakers - The lights are on!

My favorite series...

Clayton
Old 01-06-2011, 04:44 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I also purchased the 1st edition of the BB from itunes and really enjoy listening to it.
Old 01-06-2011, 05:51 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
12-Step Recovered Alkie

Here's the BB audio (3rd edition), downloadable for free: Audio (Big Book) | ukjohnd.com
Old 01-06-2011, 05:58 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I've been looking for stuff like this for months to no avail!

Thank you so much!
Old 01-06-2011, 06:48 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I like elmoware.com for AA speakers. Intherooms.com has speaker recordings from many fellowships. Back in the day, one had to acquire cassettes to listen to these, now it can be done for free online. There are other threads about his if you do a search!
Old 01-06-2011, 07:15 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by DayTrader View Post
then go to: AA Speaker Tapes : Listen To Alcoholics Anonymous Speakers and click on the orange thingey wearing headphones to subscribe to their poscast.
Thank you! I was doing it the hard way downloading one by one ;-)
Old 01-06-2011, 11:07 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Absolute Evil

I have the big book on mp3, somewhere... It has bonus speakers & stuff.
Old 01-06-2011, 11:10 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Listen to AA Speakers | Southern Cal Speakers
Old 05-12-2011, 03:36 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

good info..
i tried to post it to Newcomers to Recovery part of the forum, thinking this may help others to cope with withdrawals. but for some reason i can't post links
Old 05-12-2011, 06:57 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Welcome to our recovery community.....

Well done on your sober progress
Old 05-12-2011, 07:44 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Ditto to listening to the Big Book audio book. I've never attended a meeting but listening to the BB was very helpful to me.
Old 04-24-2013, 10:59 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by DayTrader View Post
Awesome name Mike....... you must be cool.

I gotcha on the mp3's...

download and install itunes (if you don't have it already) from the Apple website (it's free).

then go to: AA Speaker Tapes : Listen To Alcoholics Anonymous Speakers and click on the orange thingey wearing headphones to subscribe to their poscast. Itunes will start downloading and when it's done, you'll have about 300 talks from all sorts of ppl. Most are from state conventions, or big aa gatherings.....so most of them will be top notch.

If you find a couple speakers you really like.....and want to hear more from them, wander on over to XA-Speakers - The lights are on! and do a search there (first name, last initial of the speaker you liked). XA will probably have a bunch more to download and listen to.

I've listened to 1000's of hours of talks from those sites over the past 3+ years. Heck, I don't even listen to music anymore.

Some guys I recommend (from both sites)

Earl H
Alex S (from Tulsa)
Clancy I
Joe and Charlie (only on XA - download all 20 or 30 talks......they're part of a BB study)
Bob B (from MN)
Sandy B
Robbie W
Chris R
Myers R
Lyle P
David B (from Tulsa)
Bobby C (from Philly)
Bob D (from Vegas) (has open talks and BB Studies)
Joe H (he moved several times but his last name is Hawk, he's American Indian and has lived in Colorado, Texas and Santa Monica, California)
Mark H (Texas)
Mark H & Joe H (Big Book Studies.....several of them)
Mark H & Dave F (Big Book Studies)
Don P (his BB studies are better than his open talks, he was the sponsor to Mark H, and Joe H)
Clarence S (OOOOLD school from Cleveland)
Tim T (Cleveland)

I've got more but that's a TON of hours of talks.... you can start with regular open talks first or BB studies first.....both are great but totally different. As for the BB studies, I'd probably start with Joe and Charlie's BB stuty over the other BB studies since they're a little more fun, not as hard core and easier to understand to someone with under a year in the program. Once youve heard them a couple time, then it's probably ok to move up to Joe H, Bob D, Don P and Mark H (that second group might be hard to understand given your time in AA).

I've gained a lot of wisdom and knowledge through those talks. Besides, "stick with the winners" right? So why not try to learn from the ppl with a lot of time and who were chosen by other AA's to speak because they have a great message / method of delivering that message?

good luck to ya.

Mike
Bump...for Venuscat and anyone that might be interested...this is a great post from DT about speakers!

Wish we could move this thread to Alcoholism 12 step ....