Old 03-11-2005, 03:34 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
michski

Hello Sarie,
Michele here alkie/addict. I have been told several times that I was dying from alcohol abuse. My liver was severly extended and my enzymes were 6 times higher than normal. After quitting alcohol and adopting what the doctor called " a healthy lifestyle" the size of my liver and my enzymes returned to normal in 6 months, Being the hardheaded and selfish alkie that I was I began drinking again and sure enough, in a couple years I was right back where I started, enzymes skyrocketed and on the verge of pancreatitis and cirrhosis. Finally I got sick and tired of being sick and tired and yesterday I celebrated my 3rd year free from booze and drugs. I am one of the lucky ones... I lost my older sister to cirrohsis just two years ago.
Lots of alkies take tranquilizers when they stop drinking. Librium is a good one as hard drinkers can ofter go into convulsive seizures when they stop drinking. It's probably really dangerous for him to just quit booze without them. Did you know you can die from quitting alcohol cold turkey?
I am praying that your Dad is also sick and tired of having a monkey on his back and will take this opportunity to get a new life and get into the AA program. He certainly has a loving daughter to think about as well... please get yourself into an alanon program because it will help you ohsovery much whether or NOT he continues to kill himself with more booze. It will help you to educate yourself about the disease so that you can better accept the outcome with your Dad.