Old 06-14-2010, 09:52 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
cmc

When we met and married over 30 years ago, we didn't know what a 'codie' was; much less see those tendencies in ourselves. (think about that)

The dangerpoint was if and when one of us ...or worse... both were in denial or in some way slipping. That did happen sometimes with us and it wasn't pretty; so life has not always been a cake walk down a rose petaled path.

Thankfully in our case, now we both have the willingness and tools today to change and live better; it's a great combo. Like most of life; in relationships of all types a risk remains, which is but one reason that my own recovery comes first.

We try to keep some good respectful boundaries between ourselves, have some great 'recovery talks' together; and share mutual viewpoints and understanding. We are happy.

Can it work? Ive learned that for myself, the answer hinges upon _if_ whether or not two people will actually do what is necessary for themselves and be still be accountable to the other. For me that involves solid evidence of positive action (not intent) over a period of time.