Old 09-13-2007, 12:59 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
jehnifer

I am so grateful for this forum

My 16 AS is finishing up 45 day wilderness program and will be entering a residential treatment program. Will stay there for 3-5 months depending on how he progresses. Then what. Returning home scares me to death! I dont think it will work out very well, because I cannot and should not keep tabs on his every move, yet he needs to be independent and test his wings. And although he may have successfully completed the treatment programs, I still do not trust that he will have enough inner strength to stay away from the temptations of drugs. So this probably means he goes on to a therapeutic boarding school. The thing that makes me so sad and mad is that he is not getting the normal high school experience,and I literally toggle back and forth between Was he that bad off vs. He needs alot of help. I suppose I am struggling with the acceptance thing. And also wallowing in a lot of guilt...Why wasnt I more successful as a parent? The only thing that seems to make me feel better is knowing that what he learns in these various stints in rehabs will stay with him for a lifetime and will be helpful to him in some way down the road. thanks for listening!