Blogs

Questions about my status from others?

Old 05-02-2002, 07:23 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Questions about my status from others?

I've considered myself clean and sober since Jan. 05, 1997. Here's my question...I'm disabled with Lupus, fibromylgia, and a bone & joint degeneration disease. I've maintained a 3/day RX for Darvocet and a 3/day Soma RX thru a pain management clinic since the day they diagnosed me for sure with these diseases. I've not strayed except with the permission from my doctor when my Lupus was in a unbearable flare-up, which has been only 4 times in over 5 yrs. Do you guys consider me clean and sober? I and my family do and they are very proud of me for the stamina they say I've maintained. What do ya'll think? Seeing the ?'s about soberiety dates made me start questioning my soberiety....By the way, I managed at first with less and a whole lot of steriods. I now weigh 100 lbs. more because of the steriods. The doctor took me off them and asked if I could manage with what I'm taking now because the weight was making things worse. Thoughts and prayers will be greatly appreciated..
[email protected]

Old 05-03-2002, 07:31 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Paused

Welcome! Huge congrats on over 5 years of soberiety!! Those ?`s you have seen were most likely relapses during our struggles to get clean. I`ll happily add you to my prayers, and also pray that He gives me the strength to be as strong as you are.
Old 05-03-2002, 10:18 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Julia

Hey,

I think you are doing just fine.

Juls

Old 05-03-2002, 12:59 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Ann
Nature Girl

Ardeaton

So good to hear from you again and it sounds like you are doing just fine.

You are under doctor's care and supervision and take medication only as prescribed and directed by him/her to treat diseases that require medication and doctor's care.

In no way does that affect your recovery date (since that is your concern here). There is a very clear difference in motive, method, practice and medical necessity between your use of these prescribed medications and "using".

I have a friend, a recovering alcoholic/addict with over 5 years sobriety. I had to rush him to the hospital as he was having heart problems (his heart was racing dangerously fast for no apparent reason). As they were about to give him intravenous valium, I shouted at them to stop because he was a recovering addict and I didn't want the cycle to start again. They told me "lady...we give him valium or he will die right here right now!"

He lived and is still clean and sober, and in no way would that be considered a relapse
in my books.

Hugs and God Bless

Ann
Old 05-03-2002, 05:40 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Like I said, I've really had some doubts lately. Thanks to each of you for your kind and understanding words. The encouragement makes me that much more determined to stay clean. I've been thru some really bad health issues and some really bad questions about personal problems at home. These things are probably the root of my questions on my soberiety, and also could have been the window that I was headed for to use again. Fear of that window has sometimes brought me very close to opening it when I knew exactly where I was headed. But thank GOD and family and (NOW)online friends like ya'll have helped me keep that window closed and still locked.

Angie

Old 06-15-2002, 08:05 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Ann
Nature Girl

Angie

I don't know if you check in here to read much anymore, but I was wondering how you have been. I haven't had an E-mail for such a long time and I am hoping you are feeling better.

Hugs
Old 07-19-2002, 10:31 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Paused

Angie; I agree with what Anns says.Unles you are taking more than perscribed to take or not following Dr's orders on how you are to use medication you are fine.I also have Lupus ,but I am allergic to almost all pain relivers so I use alteritive methonds for reliving pain Like, meditation,music, breathing tech.and exercise,but like you when I am in a bad flare I use cortizone.I have been clean and sober for over 20 yrs.Congrats on your 5yrs.My prayers will be with you.Old Lady N Shoe