Blogs

My first brush with AA

Old 03-15-2003, 11:15 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Gold Member

My first brush with AA

Hey,my name is Christie and I'm an alcoholic. I use to think my first brush with AA was when I was 24 (now 39). I went to a meeting and it was like an instant click of recontion of myself and the woman who spoke. She spoke her life and her story like she was actually talking about my life. I never heard of detox until she spoke about a place to go to get off alcohol. Hey, that was for me for sure because I was drinking every night to go to sleep and I knew I needed help.

Well thinking back just now on my past,that was not my first brush with AA. My Mother took me and my twin to an Alateen meeting when I was 12 because of my mother's boyfriend's drinking. I remember feeling so cool because Alateen was for teenagers and I was only 12. Ha, also remember loving the snacks and free soda and hot chocolate. We never went back after that one meeting for some reason,but my mother was the first person to introduse me to AA. How dam cool is that!

Right now after not being in the program for 9 long lonely years, I can say thank God I remembered my way home again. This board is also part of my recovery. Without this board being a map of sorts to my new life, I'd be in the hospital's loony ward. I hope this time around I can do more service work and help others who suffer from grave emotional and mental disorders. Everyone know here on this board what a basket case I was. I think I'm still nuts, but there is hope for me again. I was only to live 5 years after I picked up a drink and it has been 9 years and I'm in good health. I think maybe God thinks I have some work to do and has kept me around to do it. Thank you all exspecailly Jon for not letting me get away with my will.
Love Zoomer /aka/ Christie
Old 03-16-2003, 08:34 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
It is what it is!!!

I think maybe God thinks I have some work to do and has kept me around to do it.
ABSOLUTELY!!!!!

You got that right my friend.

You are doing soooooo good, I am so proud of you. We all have our ups and downs, but you did not give up!

You are an inspiration to alot of people around here and we (I) need you to help with my recovery.

I did not even know what AA was until maybe my late 20's when friends started getting in trouble and we court ordered to go to meetings. Went to my first meeing to manipulate someone into letting me visit my boyfriend in rehab...haha! who would have thought I could stay clean and sober, no one that is who. But I had/have faith. I had to learn it though and I have to practice it everyday.

God Bless you Christie!!
Old 03-16-2003, 09:00 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Gold Member

OOOOOOOOOOOO Pauline,your one of the nicest people I ever met! I'm so glad about yours and mines recovery! I'm just so dam happy today (and sad at the same time). No meeting today at the place I go to. I know I could go to another place,but one thing at a time right! It takes me a while to get use to things and people. Ha,I still have one old guy giving me the evil eye cause I spoke at a meeting. I got all the stuff I need for my coffee making thing. Ha, the other girl told me to have vegs and dip and all that stuff because it's a "happy hour meeting" 5:30,but I chose good old fattening stuff like cookies and donutes! I'm to get paid back, but it will be my donation to AA. Now how do I go about asking a place to be my home group?
Love Zoomer
(never had a home group before)
Old 03-16-2003, 09:42 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
It is what it is!!!

well zoom -

In my experience you don't ask to be a homegroup. A homegroup is determined by you. That is the meeting that you go to regularly, you consider it your home group...you don't have to ask them. You earned your seat in that room, it belongs to you.

You can bring whatever you want...I am so proud of you for taking that committment! As for getting paid back for what you purchase, that is also your choice, do what you can, it is not a big deal. You know what we say....there is no requiment for membership except the desire to stop using.

My homegroup meeting was HUGE last night...there is usually between 5 and 15 people on any given Saturday night, last night there was 26 people there, it was awesome. They always just have coffee and cookies unless someone bakes or something.

Keep up the great work my friend...one day at a time!!!
Old 03-16-2003, 12:22 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Gold Member

Thanks Pauline! Ha, I'd be afraid to bake for this crowd Now you started AA to see Paul in rehab? Wow that is a romanic story as well as an insperational one. I hope others share their story! Remember when I said I did't want no AA thumpers and bible thumpes not more than 5 months ago! I crack myself up. God,my denile was so great,but I kept coming back. LOL!!! (I'm sure much to the shagrins of some people). I can't remember how rude I was,but I'm sure glad no one knows what I look like or live. Speaking of live where is she?
Love Zoomer
Old 03-16-2003, 01:16 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
It is what it is!!!

Zoomer -

I was trying to manipulate the director of the rehab that Paul was in to thinking that I was not an addict so he would let me visit him. Didn't work!!!!!!! I didn't realize that Paul had been telling him all the stuf that we did togetehr using, so he knew I was a lieing manipulating drug addict. I went to see him face to face, thinking I could convince him to let me visit Paul, but it did not work, what happened was he convinced me to check myself into his rehab womens house the very next morning. Imagine that, my manipulating didn't work on someone and I got sober. .

Isn't life awesome!!!

Live - I wish she should show up around here!!!
Old 03-16-2003, 03:11 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Gold Member

Hey Pauline,love works in whatever way right! I guess for me I went to my first AA meeting because my ex wanted more control over me. Yes, I was and am an alcoholic and that is and was the best thing he ever did for me. He thought after detox and rehab him and his buddies would have no trouble with me keeping my mouth shut. Ha, you should have seen how hard he tried to get my records because of the rape to have me commeted in a hospital forever. His buddy was a big time drug dealer up there. Sad part is even after te rape, I still went to a party at my rapest house many months later. I knew then I was one sick pup to even try to forget. I don't know. I am a minupulater of sorts,but I really wanted help to be a better person and a better mother. This time around I guess I did not want to go totally crazy. I'm not completly out of the woods yet with my horrible thoughts. I have fears of death so bad that I freeze with fear. I think we all manipulate even in recovery. But, there are nice ways to manipulate and not so nice ways. Today I'm trying to be honest mostly with myself. It's going to take many years for me to get through all the steps,but this time I'm not in any rush or nothing. I'm not angry any more at anyone (well I am pissed a little),but the anger is gone. I think because I wrote so much back in October an Nov... My life sounded crazy and too bad it's all true. I wish it was not. The rehab I went to told me to stay away from all my family. Um I was also rape by my brothers too. It's my biggest shame an it is hard for me to face them,but I'm not angry any more. Now you see why it's hard for me to go to California. I'm working with a counsler on this issue. Well, now my plate is clean and all my fears and dirty laundry is out. Whew.
Love Zoomer
Old 03-16-2003, 03:24 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Gold Member

O'ya, I would bake,but every time I try hard at baking, I burn stuff and Im kind of sensitive at the moment
Old 03-17-2003, 04:45 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Gold Member

good morning world

Well it's day 34 for me and I'm excited about life. I don't however like the thought of war! Peace be with us all and lets kick their a-s-s before they kick ours! American and dam proud of it!
Zoomer
Huray for the stars,red and blue
we are going to kick some iraq booty too.
Lets stand behind our women and men
and God bless us all and make sure we win!
Let us protect the world
and keep it safe for our boys and girls.
So please just don't sit back---
Go America and attack Iraq!

I tell my children that if someone hits you then you make sure you hit the back twice as hard!
Old 03-17-2003, 04:56 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Gold Member

PS, I live by an air port and I do not hear the planes! I wonder if we are a no fly zone. Now I'm a bit scard! I'll keep everyone updated.
Love Zoomer
Old 03-17-2003, 01:42 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Gold Member

Gee wiz! Ha, being hard of hearing of course Ican't hear the planes! LOL!!! GG, I crack myself up! I did see 2,so I'm not scard as much! Here I am waiting to go to a meeting. Just think a month ago I was still fighting it. Life is so good today right Pauline!
Zoomer
Old 03-17-2003, 03:51 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
It is what it is!!!

Right zoom!!! Life is great.

Met with my sponsor today, wow the questions in the NA workbook are bringing up alot of stuff for me, it is good, but scary. then we went to a meeting. It was a book study but we didn't talk about what we read cause there was a woman there who brought up the topic of family and trust after you get clean, so that is what the meeting talked about. It is really great!

zoomer - you crack me up...no planes, oh yeah you can't hear well. lol!! you are so funny!!!
Old 03-17-2003, 04:51 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Gold Member

Hey P, GG I'm sooooooooooo blond LOL!!! The planes were flying higher today though because the low army planes I can hear (they have to be like 10 feet above me to hear the things). Well, my daughter is talking my ear off (she wants me to be Van Gogh),so I can't keep a thought in my head to write. Life is good!
Love Zoomer
Old 03-21-2003, 04:27 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Paused

Just wanted to poke in & say hello! I needed to read a reminder for myself about a home group. I have found a women's group & I just started going but thought about not going tonight because I'm tired but as I type I've decided I am getting my buns over there!

Wendy
Old 03-21-2003, 07:49 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Gold Member

Hey Wendy! Glad to see ya! I have a horible ear infection and can't hear at all (LOL),but made myself go to a meeting. It was on step 9 and glad I went! Miss ya
Love zoomer
Old 03-22-2003, 06:26 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Zoomer,

Big hugs!

live
Old 03-22-2003, 06:45 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Gold Member

Right back at ya live!
Old 03-22-2003, 02:00 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Gold Member

GG, I'm actually upset because I'm too sick to go to a meeting! I look forward now to my meetings and feel like I'm missing something if I don't go. I can handle the pain, but my face is lop sided from the swelling. Vain, I know and I also have yuck driping out of my ear. I'm on antibiotics, but they should have kicked in by now. I guess I have to go back tomorrow to see what else they can do for me. I have put a heating pad on my ear,cleaned out the yuck to make room for more drainage,took a decongestent,so I wonder why I'm not getting better. Any suggestions?
Love Zoomer
Old 03-22-2003, 02:59 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Grace Under Fire

Zoomer,
It takes about 72 hours for the antibiotics
to kick in, if it's been this long-go
back to the doctor. Doesn't sound good.

Live, I'm glad to see you back!!

Hugs,
Old 03-22-2003, 03:54 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  
Gold Member

Hey Josie,thank you for replying. It's only been 48 hours,so I'll wait an extra day. I did manage to clean my bedroom,so I can rest in a clean space
Zoomer