Notices

One year ago today

Old 04-19-2006, 12:45 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

One year ago today

Exactly one year ago today I was coming down hard after a 9 month binge. I was scared. Everything seemed hopeless. I had lost everything. No job, no vehicle, drivers license, legal problems, and worst of all............spiritually bankrupt. One year ago today I sat at my computer lurking around here at SoberRecovery and chatting with Dan. I will never forget that morning. In tears I sat in front of my computer. I was so scared. How could I get clean and stay clean? Was it really possible? Had I buried myself too deep? I had to get away. A good friend had a ticket waiting for me at the airport. He knew my situation and was going to fly this Southern boy out to New Jersey to detox and go to work. Knowing well I would be violating my probation and have jail waiting when I returned home, I went anyway. I was broken. If I kept going, I would surely die.It was time for T2 to live up to his name and surrender. Surrender my will and my life over to God. At 140 lbs, I walked through the airport. So weak I could barely carry my bags. People stared. I went to Jersey for 2 1/2 months. I got there exausted. Soon I was eating good, and working. I saved every dime. I could write a whole thread on my trip but, its not what today is about. When I returned home I went to the Sherriffs office and turned myself in. My punishment for abscounding for 2 1/2 months? 4 days in jail. I went and got my drivers license back. I had dreamed of buying another lifted 4x4 truck ,and I did. Got a new sponsor and did every NA meeting I could. I commited myself to service work. I was blessed with a good job waiting for me.One miracle after the next. Today, my life is so much different. I am a painter. I have my own business. I am buried in work. I give approx. 10 estimates a week. I am getting enough calls where I can bid high. I never in a million years dreamed my business would take off like this. I work more hours then I care to, but it's paying off. I cannot believe where I am today compared to last April 18th. Today, I would have had a year clean, but I used once while in Jersey. My sobriety date is 5-25-05. Today, I have a very good life. I look at myself in the mirror and love the person I see. With my painting business and all else aside, my recovery always comes first. I still work very hard at it. I grow everyday. Sure things dont always go my way. I have a 16 month old son named Thomas that I have never seen. Not even a photo. I dont know even know if he is healthy. Does he have my blue eyes? Not a day goes by that I dont think about him. That is not easy. But, it is what it is. I would never use over it. Running a business can be very overwelming and a huge amount of stress. But I still love doing it. In Febuary, i lost my best friend "Bo". A Black Lab I had for 14 yrs. just a couple weeks ago, I lost a friend who I loved dearly. I am still hurting bad over that. But, its life. Today, I keep it simple. I live life on lifes terms. I take the good with the bad. In 42 days on May 25th, I will have one year clean. My name is Mike, and I am a recovering addict. Thanks for listening.
Old 04-19-2006, 03:12 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
To Life!

(((Mike)))
What an inspiring, hope filled story!
You deserve every good there is in your life today, and more. Doing the next right thing; that's what it's about. And living each day on it's own terms.
Thanks for sharing this Mike. It brings me hope...
And congratulations, my friend!!!

Shalom!
Old 04-19-2006, 07:21 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Its_me_jen

Wow Mike. Great story (very well written I might add). It gave me chills. I am so proud of you for getting sober and making a great life for yourself. I love your attitude about the "bumps in the road" sort of speak. "It is what it is..... sometimes it hurts but, it's life."

I am so, so proud of you. You are a wonderful person.

~doll
Old 04-19-2006, 08:31 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Mike, your story struck my heart in a very profound way. I got tears of joy for you. That story is so beautiful, well-written from the heart! I am sure that it will inspire many. Thank you for sharing that message of hope with us!

I am so proud of you!
Old 04-19-2006, 04:43 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Thanks everyone
Old 04-19-2006, 05:27 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

((((((((((Mike)))))))))) Thank you for sharing your story with us.
Old 04-28-2006, 03:44 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Brandy

Mike;

congratulations on your recovery...I'm kinda in the same position and still striving for the day I no longer even think about the same substance that has knocked me off track...
Old 04-28-2006, 04:09 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
ASH

Originally Posted by Time2Surrender
Today, I keep it simple. I live life on lifes terms. I take the good with the bad.
Thanks for sharing your story Mike, and congratulations on your clean time.
As usual there is a good lesson for me here, keep it simple and accept the fact that life will have the good and the bad
Old 04-29-2006, 11:35 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Jen

Congrats Mike!!!! I think you're doing fantastic!! You have given so many people here hope and joy in their recovery! I'm so proud of you!

I tell my AH about you and the others here at SR. I'm so proud of you and hope one day I can be proud of my (soon-to-be-ex) AH.

Keep up the great work on your recovery!

Jennifer
Old 04-29-2006, 08:26 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Time2 - Thanks for sharing your story. It is so good to hear that someone has overcome all the obstacles created from abuse of alcohol/drugs.
Kathy
Old 05-03-2006, 01:33 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Still learning; ever grateful

Hi Mike. I'm not sure why I didn't see this last month, but a belated and heartfelt congrats to you! What you wrote is beautiful, and I thank you for the hand you reached out to me when my "puppy" was put down. I took your advice and remained sober - to this day, b/c I'd want him to remember me that way! You've come SUCH a long way, my friend! I'm proud of you!!

Hope all is well.

Big hugs,
DG
Old 05-03-2006, 02:01 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Thumbs up Miracles In Sobriety

Great Story. Thanks For Sharing Mike. Miracles In Recovery Do Happen. You Are On Of Those Wonderful Miracles Blessed And Guided From Above.
Old 05-03-2006, 08:16 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

T2S, Unreal story and I can totally related. Almost one year! That is so awesome. Thanks for keeping this here alcoholic/addict woman sober one more day!
Old 05-11-2006, 12:03 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
NA Rocks!

WOW! I'm sorry I didn't see this earlier, Mike. What an amazing recovery story! Thank you so very much for sharing that. I've always enjoyed your posts and can remember you being here when I first joined last May of '05 (I will have a year on June 4th) and I was worried you'd get mad that my screen name was so similar to yours. (hee-hee) I hadn't seen your name when I created mine; just a coincidence. But you've always been extremely kind and loving to me, and I really appreciate that.

Congratulations on your almost-one-year birthday! I hope you have some exciting plans to celebrate on Thursday the 25th with your NA family.

Love, Kelly
Old 06-01-2006, 01:29 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Hey mike congrats and may god bless you with many more. I was very grateful for you have touched many people including myself.

Thanks for giving me a reason to go on
Old 06-09-2006, 10:00 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

I just had to opportunity to read this and although I am not an addict I am married to one.

Your thread gives me hope and faith that my husband will, with God's will, have one year clean in 9 more months.

THis is a very inspiring thread....thank you for posting it.
Old 07-31-2006, 12:36 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Your year has came and went since you posted your story. I just signed on here today so I just now read it. By all accounts, you should be at 14 months and 6 days now. I hope all is well for you.
What I think I really wanted to mention was that Thomas needs his dad.
See him. Have you?

Peace!
Old 08-18-2006, 03:12 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Time2Surrender
My name is Mike, and I am a recovering addict. Thanks for listening.
Gee this really moved me Mike. You give me hope for my own road. which has only just started. Thank you very much.
Old 04-29-2011, 10:35 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Time2Surrender View Post
Sure things dont always go my way. I have a 16 month old son named Thomas that I have never seen. Not even a photo. I dont know even know if he is healthy. Does he have my blue eyes? Not a day goes by that I dont think about him.
I wrote this a few years ago back in 2006. Then during the summer of 2009 when my son whom I had still not ever seen came up in a 4th and 5th step, I was advised to let go and turn it over to GOD. Well, it wasnt easy but I did. My sponsor said...."If GOD wants you in the kids like, it will happen in his time. Not yours" That was not easy, but I turned it over. Fast forward 2 yrs to the present and guess what? GOD answered my prayers. This is my son Thomas. He is 6 and Wednesday we are going to the Zoo. Thank you GOD.
Old 04-29-2011, 10:40 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

(((T2S)))) - he is ADORABLE, and I'm glad you are in each others lives. Gotta love recovery

Hugs and prayers,

Amy