Notices

5 Years

Old 02-21-2006, 07:57 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

5 Years

Five years ago on Feb 22 I was in the hospital of an attempted suicide. My drinking had gotten to a point where I didn't want to live anymore. I had 3 drunk driving tickets - no license, had done some jail time and still continued to drink and didn't know how I could stop. Anyway when they let me out of the hospital I was supposed to go to AA meetings. I was staying with my folks at the time and there is an AA meeting at our church about a block away. It was the longest walk for me up that hill. But it was the best thing I ever did. It opened the door to a whole new way of life for me. I knew some of the people there as this is a small town. One of the guys was a musician friend of mine who had been in the program for a long time and offered to take me to some meetings. Well the more people I met the more meetings I went to. They said 90 meetings in 90 days and I thought that was a lot but I did 90 in 72 days - not because I had to but WANTED to. I went to speaker meetings, dances, pig roasts, campouts and had a great time. My musician friend and I formed a bluegrass gospel group and we play at churches, fairs, retirement homes and different places. I also run a jam session at a club that I got fired from earlier for being too drunk to sing. I also bowl on a sober league twice a month. Sobriety has truly been a blessing for me. Shortly after I became sober I found this site and have been visiting ever since. I see a lot of the same jokes on the follies site but thats a good sign cause that means new people.
This friday my home group is having their anniversary party at the church and we have food (I'm taking the day off from work and smoking a turkey and making hot beef sandwiches) It is also my 5 year anniversay. Afterwards they'll come over to my house (I only live a short distance away) and we'll have our dysfunctional card game like we do every friday night. It gives us a chance to socialize (talk stupid, call each other names, swear etc....) ANYWAY, your'e all invited!!! Again thanks for 5 years of cyber sobriety!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 02-22-2006, 05:19 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Doug

Thank you Soiz

Old 02-22-2006, 05:28 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Smile Thanks

Thanks for sharing Soizan. Much Appreciated. AA Baton Rouge and Houston. Sharon M. 8-11-90