Notices

Invited to a fight

Old 09-03-2005, 02:17 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Don't get undies in a bunch

Invited to a fight

Some time just after the crash (I am told SR had) there was a debate going on.
OK heated debate.

It was pointed out to me that this site (the debate) may be something of interest to me. Well that thread is long gone but I remain.
What I found here… people sharing, people in need, people with huge hearts, people growing, tears of joy, tears of sadness, laughter… but mostly the love and caring of many individuals towards the needs of one. The one happened to be the newcomer of the moment. The co-dependant in me yelled YES! A place for me. Look at all these people I can maybe help.
What I found… I was being helped. I was growing. I was gaining a deeper understanding of my own alcoholism and recovery needs. I was growing in areas of need that I didn’t know I needed to grow. Co-dependant and dealing with others in my personal life that have issues of addiction and or isms. YES! I found a goldmine of great wealth. A place of wisdom, love, and friendship.
Jon’s house but it is our house as well.
Jon put down a foundation and started things but the love and kindness of everyone who has shown up here is what built SR.

Where was I? For me, I don’t think that matters. What matters, I feel… where am I now?
I am among kind, gentle, loving people, that care more for others then they do for themselves at many times. I also feel I am stronger and wiser then I was when I first came to SR. I sure know my heart has been touched by so many as well.

Thank you Jon
And a special thank you to ALL who walk through the doors of SR. You all have helped me grow and learn.
Old 09-05-2005, 01:20 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

What?! This debate?!
http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...0&page=1&pp=20

I was also invited in to a discussion, came out of curiosity about the 12 step views being put forth there. The first members who greeted me were so diverse -- some welcoming and some hostile, most but not all from AA -- that I quickly realized my perceptions of the 12 step programs were far too limited.

So I stayed, talked, and learned. Then, darn it, I began to like some of the folks regardless of their persuasions, and found some iconoclasts to mutter with in the back corner of the room. SR became a habit that has been very useful to me and I've made some lifelong friends here. Thanks, Jon.
Don S
(that crash was a doozy...).
Old 09-05-2005, 05:32 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Psalm 118:24

FAR TOO MANY LOSE SITE OF THE FACT THAT, WE CAN DISAGREE AND STILL BE FRIENDS!!!

Always good to remember that, we got 2 ears and 1 mouth. Listen twice as much and talk half as much
Old 09-05-2005, 06:29 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Paused

Thanks for the link Don. I missed out on that discussion. That was before my time here. There are alot of familiar names. Some aren't around any longer. It makes me wonder why and what they are doing now. Perhaps leading another discussion on another forum.
Old 09-05-2005, 07:09 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Psalm 118:24

It's so hard for some people to keep that ego in check

Like I told best, we may never agree a lot on our views about politics but, I can still like him for who he is and his trying to help people stay sober.

Anyone that has stayed around AA all the years he has gets my respect