Notices

A forum.

Old 08-22-2005, 08:47 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

A forum.

One of the definitions of the word forum is 'a meeting place for open discussion', that's what I was looking for when I found SR.

I'm lucky to have a wealth of support in real life but there are some things in life where it's helpful to talk to others who have shared that experience first hand. I think whether directly or with for friends and family that's true with alcohol problems.

I was looking for a forum when I found SR, I knew I wanted that open discussion, it plays a huge part in how I learn and I consider it a need. Emotionally I had embarked on a huge journey, it began before SR and will continue after but I wanted companionship along the way from others living with similar experiences.

If it wasn't for SR, and other sites (I haven't visited 'cos I stayed here) I would have been very much alone. There's no way on earth I could reconcile my beliefs with Al-Anon teaching, to have done that would have been to lose the parts in me which make me - me. People who put the effort into creating places like SR (I think) truly understand the human need to connect - but also go one further than that by acting to make that more possible for many others.

I have found some incredible people here, I've had my hand held through some rough times, I hope I've added some bits along the way, I'm glad to have been accepted as an individual - despite me being a little odd! :p

I never want to be reliant on SR because sites can come and go, computers can break, finances can change BUT nothing can ever remove the friendship I've already gained here and I don't have the words to express what change that has brought about within me.

Where am I now? I go for counselling at our alcohol advisory service, both alone and with D, he has stopped drinking, we work at 'recovery' together - our counsellor supports that utterly. I'm also seeking Cognitive Behavioural Therapy - it interests me and I can't help but feel I'd gain something valuable from it.

To some people there will always be only one way and I'm happy that they have found their way, but I'm not alone in being grateful to SR for it's diversity - because for me there was a real need to find more than one way, and there are others here I've seen express the same. We needed a meeting place for open discussion, SR has offered that.

SO HAPPY BIRTHDAY SR - long may you grow, change, be......