Notices

Lost and Lonely...Now I have a place to go!

Old 08-16-2005, 07:53 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
A Drunk taking a day off!

Lost and Lonely...Now I have a place to go!

I can't remember exactly HOW I found soberrecovery.com, I think it was quite by "accident", if there is such a thing. I have not always had this name - I have actually been coming here for several years, since I was about 2 years sober. I had just lost another online community with which I was very involved although had nothing to do with recovery ( it was for single moms with attitudes - we had fun). I had one child, was isolated by the nature of being a single mom witohout much money, and was seeking a way to reach out during the long, dark hours of the night. Here, I found exactly what I needed.
I did alot of posting about "me" stuff, alot of advice-asking for a while, and then for a long time I just sat back and read. This site became a place where I could go to read and get outside of myself. I began to see the honesty that others were acheiving, and I started replying with my own experiences. This became a place, too, where I could really get honest - it is the first place I shared about my relapse, something I didn't oficially change my sobriety date over for 2 1/2 years because my ego was so distorted. But I was able to make the first step here, and because of the love and acceptance here, I could go on to tell a friend, and then a group away from home, and then finally my home group.
I changed my username because an abusive ex was reading my posts; I actually had to change everthing in my life, and for a while I felt like that took away from my validity here, like I had "lost" my SR "time" , but I know that I've know so many members for so long, and we're all treated equally here - even if I get busy and it's a month before I can get back on.
I am so eternally grateful for this place, and the new extras like the toolbar are a bonus to help keep where I come from right up front for me!!
((((((((((((((((((((((BIG HUGS)))))))))))))))))))))))))))