SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Where Were You? (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/where-were-you/)
-   -   What did alcohol take from you? (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/where-were-you/428100-what-did-alcohol-take-you.html)

bringmeback7693 05-25-2018 10:13 AM

What did alcohol take from you?

For me, alcohol took away my sense of self. Before alcohol I had passions and interests that I could have explored more, but alcohol made me forget about all of them.

I loved writing and art and theatre, but was always too hungover in college to pursue any of these activities. I stopped caring about them. Pretty soon my only hobby was drinking.

Alcohol also made my anxiety, depression, and social anxiety infinitely worse. It destroyed my confidence and self-worth.

What did alcohol take from you? How can you get it back?

least 05-25-2018 10:43 AM

Drinking took away my sanity and peace of mind. Sobriety and gratitude got them back. :)

Bailey3 05-25-2018 05:55 PM

Everything important. I had an alcoholic father so, parts of my childhood were taken. I in turn became an alcoholic and, that took most of the rest.

I’m hoping to find long term sobriety and, get it back.

least 05-25-2018 07:15 PM

I’m hoping to find long term sobriety
If you can't find it, create it. :)

Dee74 05-25-2018 07:38 PM

Addiction took away the real me and left a corrupted copy in its place.

D

Bullwinkle1944 05-25-2018 07:42 PM

I loved writing and art and theatre, but was always too hungover in college to pursue any of these activities. I stopped caring about them. Pretty soon my only hobby was drinking.

Alcohol also made my anxiety, depression, and social anxiety infinitely worse. It destroyed my confidence and self-worth.

What did alcohol take from you? How can you get it back?<<<

Alcoholic drinking, the drug alcohol temporally relieved my depression, depression I didn’t know I was suffering. If the effect from alcohol weren’t temporary, I wouldn’t have become addicted.

Before my first drink, I blocked my depression and feelings involved with my depression via hyper- activities, mostly sports. Since hyper-activities was a frame of reference, it’s easy in retrospect to see why alcohol went beyond what hyper-activities, in what it did for me. Depending on my mood and circumstances, I had good and bad times, but the good times became increasingly fewer, this is due to tolerance. One aspect of my problems at this point was I was attempting to recapture my original almost euphoric experiences at the beginning of my drinking. Eventually alcohol stopped working for me and that’s when I began to question whether I was an alcoholic.

Alcoholic drinking contributed to my divorce. On the other hand, Alcoholic drinking opened my eyes in realizing I had married a stranger, because I didn’t know who I was, so my choices in relationships were immature.

I view alcoholism as the cure for that of which it purports to be the disease. The symptom alcoholism, has a purpose, and that’s recovery from my emotional and mental problems.

Also for me, alcoholism is a delivery system into spiritual reality, which is the only reality.

coming_clean 05-26-2018 03:23 PM

Alcohol have been a gateway drug that lead to drugs.
Drugs blurred the connection with myself, the universe.
It isolated me. It depressed me.
It made me scared ********.

I got Some sense of normaliter back by practising buddhism and going to meetings.

Gettingcloser 05-26-2018 03:59 PM

Alcohol took time away from me. 18 years of habitual drinking, very heavy the last 5. I could have done so much with that time. I am 43 now and newly sober pledging to get the time back.

snitch 05-26-2018 04:05 PM

Alcohol robbed me of my morals. In sobriety I am finding my morals are actually quite high. In active addiction I had none.

Quake84 05-29-2018 07:47 AM

Alcoholism has taken away any self confidence I once had. Which was never much in the first place. I cant think of anything I like about myself anymore. It has damaged friendships because of the terrible ways I’ve acted in front of/toward people. Sometimes I’m just too embarrassed to ever contact someone again. It has damaged my brain. I feel like I am missing a connection to my past. Like I don’t remember how things made me feel. Everything, even things before my drinking began, feels like a blur. And now, trying to recollect on my past feels impossible. Not to mention the amount of blackouts I’m dealing with now. My entire life feels like it didn’t happen. And that’s sad and scary.

Yixi 05-29-2018 08:59 AM

All of me. It took all of me.

Opivotal 05-29-2018 10:10 AM

Originally Posted by Quake84 (Post 6910557)
Alcoholism has taken away any self confidence I once had. Which was never much in the first place. I cant think of anything I like about myself anymore. It has damaged friendships because of the terrible ways I’ve acted in front of/toward people. Sometimes I’m just too embarrassed to ever contact someone again. It has damaged my brain. I feel like I am missing a connection to my past. Like I don’t remember how things made me feel. Everything, even things before my drinking began, feels like a blur. And now, trying to recollect on my past feels impossible. Not to mention the amount of blackouts I’m dealing with now. My entire life feels like it didn’t happen. And that’s sad and scary.

You can turn your life around, Quake. I felt 100 percent better about myself once I got sober. Alcohol robbed me of my very soul. I was an alcoholic shell of my former self. The blackouts were a turning point for me.

I know it's scary, but you can do this!

Sweetpeacan 05-31-2018 10:57 AM

Originally Posted by Yixi (Post 6910626)
All of me. It took all of me.

How true this is Yixi and then some for me.

I have gone from being a relatively nice kind person. To the extremely selfish drunk that I become.

Not today though & I'll take that, SP x

Sunflowerlife 05-31-2018 01:49 PM

Alcohol took away my self worth, my dignity, my sanity at times, my ability to make good choices, my morals, my integrity, my regard for others, my regard for myself, my inner peace, my connection with the Divine, my love for myself and others and much, much more.

Boojeanie 07-28-2018 07:04 PM

My integrity ... it turned me into my greatest enemy!

kamm 09-10-2018 11:39 AM

It took me. I gave myself to booze and forgot everything else. I hated myself and couldn’t stop. I lied, cheated, hid and died a little on the inside. The days are so hard but I know this is worth it.

dsmaxis10 09-21-2018 10:52 AM

It took the greatest beautifulest thing i have ever seen my soul mate owe it's a scar a wound that just won't heal she's alive well married two kids owe you know it's your soul msate when they take your breath away

Willdoit 09-23-2018 11:10 AM

Originally Posted by Bullwinkle1944 (Post 6907483)

What did alcohol take from you? How can you get it back?<<<

Alcoholic drinking, the drug alcohol temporally relieved my depression, depression I didn’t know I was suffering. If the effect from alcohol weren’t temporary, I wouldn’t have become addicted.

Before my first drink, I blocked my depression and feelings involved with my depression via hyper- activities, mostly sports. Since hyper-activities was a frame of reference, it’s easy in retrospect to see why alcohol went beyond what hyper-activities, in what it did for me. Depending on my mood and circumstances, I had good and bad times, but the good times became increasingly fewer, this is due to tolerance. One aspect of my problems at this point was I was attempting to recapture my original almost euphoric experiences at the beginning of my drinking. Eventually alcohol stopped working for me and that’s when I began to question whether I was an alcoholic.

Alcoholic drinking contributed to my divorce. On the other hand, Alcoholic drinking opened my eyes in realizing I had married a stranger, because I didn’t know who I was, so my choices in relationships were immature.

I view alcoholism as the cure for that of which it purports to be the disease. The symptom alcoholism, has a purpose, and that’s recovery from my emotional and mental problems.

Also for me, alcoholism is a delivery system into spiritual reality, which is the only reality.

That could be me , amazing and thanks .

Lorie1482 10-30-2018 01:56 PM

I’m so angry at myself 😡..... because I used alcohol to make me a different person a more social and accepted person by society..... I know I can’t turn the clock back but if I would of just accepted myself and been stronger and said no with conviction, maybe things would of turned out different for me. Now I’m really seeing me as the person I really am... and to tell the truth I like who I am now. However, I’m now learning how to be just me with out alcohol and live a healthier sober and better life... Best wishes everyone 🤗

Mummyto2 10-30-2018 02:14 PM

It took away the real me, but I won’t stop until she is back

least 11-02-2018 09:10 PM

Among other things, it took away my sense of logic. Being addicted isn't logical. :(

ElizabethGrace 11-03-2018 10:00 AM

It took away my Mum and alot of my childhood. I had to grow up early and learn to survive with a whole bunch of issues but im getting there and I am fortunately not an alcoholic myself!

To those of you that are sober you are amazing ,one to admit you have a problem with alcohol and two to actually do something about it.

Hopeforme2014 11-03-2018 07:28 PM

Alcohol took away a huge portion of my childhood and both of my parents.
Alcohol took away my self respect, my peace of mind, my morals, my kindness, and so many other things.

Pathwaytofree 11-04-2018 04:46 PM

My ability to feel my feelings and be true to myself.

idavidi 11-14-2018 12:13 AM

It took my whole savings :) I was foolish enough to spend everything .. but realizing that I had nothing left. I came to senses somehow and started my recovery and started working

dafunbra 11-22-2018 09:02 AM

It took the career I had. It took my finances. It played a part in taking my children, I haven't had any contact with them in a couple of years. It took my self respect and dignity. And it may have now taken the love of my life, an absolutely amazing woman who always tries to do the next right thing. I am convinced God put her into my life to get me sober. I wish I would have woken up and started fixing myself well before I did, and I would still have her. She told me this morning we might, someday, have a chance at a future together, but that she is not going to wait and is starting to date other men. That, my friends, was very much a knife in the gut. It convinced me, more than all the legal troubles and everything else, that the path I am on in my recovery is the only possible path for me to take. I want to be with her. But I want for her to be happy and have that partner she wants that loves, honors and protects her even more. She deserves that, and so much more for just being the person she is. My reaction a few weeks ago would be to go on a bender. My reaction today was to find a meeting, maybe more than one, to go to today. And to be grateful that she is at least still speaking to me, and at least I have the opportunity to remain friends with her. Alcohol took a lot from me, but my sobriety has given me the ability to want the best for her, whether it's with me or not. And today I am thankful for that.

Alexf91 11-26-2018 10:22 AM

It took away my ability to feel anymore I can't remember most of my life and 2 houses and countless jobs. Back on day 1 after a relapse so mind is still gone overdrive

DriGuy 11-26-2018 10:29 AM

Originally Posted by bringmeback7693 (Post 6907026)
It destroyed my confidence and self-worth.

What did alcohol take from you? How can you get it back?

That was the biggie for me. I got it back, although the confidence was no longer about how great I was. It was more just knowledge that I could be happy. It is a clearer perspective of who I really am. I'm not the king of the hill, but I'm not a bad person, either.

emsee 11-26-2018 08:00 PM

Took away my stability, my spirituality, my social life (after convincing myself that it was helping my social life) and my looks. It's shallow as hell, but weight gain, premature wrinkles and dehydrated skin and hair are actually a big motivation for me to stop.

2ndhandrose 11-27-2018 09:07 AM

It took away my reasoning, my belief in anything good, my trust in God, my ability to love myself, my joy, my hope, my health, to name a few.

Sobriety has given me back all of this and so much more.

It truly is the gift that never stops giving. :grouphug: