Notices

What did alcohol take from you?

Old 05-25-2018, 10:13 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

What did alcohol take from you?

For me, alcohol took away my sense of self. Before alcohol I had passions and interests that I could have explored more, but alcohol made me forget about all of them.

I loved writing and art and theatre, but was always too hungover in college to pursue any of these activities. I stopped caring about them. Pretty soon my only hobby was drinking.

Alcohol also made my anxiety, depression, and social anxiety infinitely worse. It destroyed my confidence and self-worth.

What did alcohol take from you? How can you get it back?
Old 05-25-2018, 10:43 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Drinking took away my sanity and peace of mind. Sobriety and gratitude got them back.
Old 05-25-2018, 05:55 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Everything important. I had an alcoholic father so, parts of my childhood were taken. I in turn became an alcoholic and, that took most of the rest.

I’m hoping to find long term sobriety and, get it back.
Old 05-25-2018, 07:15 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I’m hoping to find long term sobriety
If you can't find it, create it.
Old 05-25-2018, 07:38 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

Addiction took away the real me and left a corrupted copy in its place.

D
Old 05-25-2018, 07:42 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I loved writing and art and theatre, but was always too hungover in college to pursue any of these activities. I stopped caring about them. Pretty soon my only hobby was drinking.

Alcohol also made my anxiety, depression, and social anxiety infinitely worse. It destroyed my confidence and self-worth.

What did alcohol take from you? How can you get it back?<<<

Alcoholic drinking, the drug alcohol temporally relieved my depression, depression I didn’t know I was suffering. If the effect from alcohol weren’t temporary, I wouldn’t have become addicted.

Before my first drink, I blocked my depression and feelings involved with my depression via hyper- activities, mostly sports. Since hyper-activities was a frame of reference, it’s easy in retrospect to see why alcohol went beyond what hyper-activities, in what it did for me. Depending on my mood and circumstances, I had good and bad times, but the good times became increasingly fewer, this is due to tolerance. One aspect of my problems at this point was I was attempting to recapture my original almost euphoric experiences at the beginning of my drinking. Eventually alcohol stopped working for me and that’s when I began to question whether I was an alcoholic.

Alcoholic drinking contributed to my divorce. On the other hand, Alcoholic drinking opened my eyes in realizing I had married a stranger, because I didn’t know who I was, so my choices in relationships were immature.

I view alcoholism as the cure for that of which it purports to be the disease. The symptom alcoholism, has a purpose, and that’s recovery from my emotional and mental problems.

Also for me, alcoholism is a delivery system into spiritual reality, which is the only reality.
Old 05-26-2018, 03:23 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Alcohol have been a gateway drug that lead to drugs.
Drugs blurred the connection with myself, the universe.
It isolated me. It depressed me.
It made me scared ********.

I got Some sense of normaliter back by practising buddhism and going to meetings.
Old 05-26-2018, 03:59 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Alcohol took time away from me. 18 years of habitual drinking, very heavy the last 5. I could have done so much with that time. I am 43 now and newly sober pledging to get the time back.
Old 05-26-2018, 04:05 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Alcohol robbed me of my morals. In sobriety I am finding my morals are actually quite high. In active addiction I had none.
Old 05-29-2018, 07:47 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Alcoholism has taken away any self confidence I once had. Which was never much in the first place. I cant think of anything I like about myself anymore. It has damaged friendships because of the terrible ways I’ve acted in front of/toward people. Sometimes I’m just too embarrassed to ever contact someone again. It has damaged my brain. I feel like I am missing a connection to my past. Like I don’t remember how things made me feel. Everything, even things before my drinking began, feels like a blur. And now, trying to recollect on my past feels impossible. Not to mention the amount of blackouts I’m dealing with now. My entire life feels like it didn’t happen. And that’s sad and scary.
Old 05-29-2018, 08:59 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

All of me. It took all of me.
Old 05-29-2018, 10:10 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Quake84 View Post
Alcoholism has taken away any self confidence I once had. Which was never much in the first place. I cant think of anything I like about myself anymore. It has damaged friendships because of the terrible ways I’ve acted in front of/toward people. Sometimes I’m just too embarrassed to ever contact someone again. It has damaged my brain. I feel like I am missing a connection to my past. Like I don’t remember how things made me feel. Everything, even things before my drinking began, feels like a blur. And now, trying to recollect on my past feels impossible. Not to mention the amount of blackouts I’m dealing with now. My entire life feels like it didn’t happen. And that’s sad and scary.
You can turn your life around, Quake. I felt 100 percent better about myself once I got sober. Alcohol robbed me of my very soul. I was an alcoholic shell of my former self. The blackouts were a turning point for me.

I know it's scary, but you can do this!
Old 05-31-2018, 10:57 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Yixi View Post
All of me. It took all of me.
How true this is Yixi and then some for me.

I have gone from being a relatively nice kind person. To the extremely selfish drunk that I become.

Not today though & I'll take that, SP x
Old 05-31-2018, 01:49 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Alcohol took away my self worth, my dignity, my sanity at times, my ability to make good choices, my morals, my integrity, my regard for others, my regard for myself, my inner peace, my connection with the Divine, my love for myself and others and much, much more.
Old 07-28-2018, 07:04 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

My integrity ... it turned me into my greatest enemy!
Old 09-10-2018, 11:39 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

It took me. I gave myself to booze and forgot everything else. I hated myself and couldn’t stop. I lied, cheated, hid and died a little on the inside. The days are so hard but I know this is worth it.
Old 09-21-2018, 10:52 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

It took the greatest beautifulest thing i have ever seen my soul mate owe it's a scar a wound that just won't heal she's alive well married two kids owe you know it's your soul msate when they take your breath away
Old 09-23-2018, 11:10 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Bullwinkle1944 View Post

What did alcohol take from you? How can you get it back?<<<

Alcoholic drinking, the drug alcohol temporally relieved my depression, depression I didn’t know I was suffering. If the effect from alcohol weren’t temporary, I wouldn’t have become addicted.

Before my first drink, I blocked my depression and feelings involved with my depression via hyper- activities, mostly sports. Since hyper-activities was a frame of reference, it’s easy in retrospect to see why alcohol went beyond what hyper-activities, in what it did for me. Depending on my mood and circumstances, I had good and bad times, but the good times became increasingly fewer, this is due to tolerance. One aspect of my problems at this point was I was attempting to recapture my original almost euphoric experiences at the beginning of my drinking. Eventually alcohol stopped working for me and that’s when I began to question whether I was an alcoholic.

Alcoholic drinking contributed to my divorce. On the other hand, Alcoholic drinking opened my eyes in realizing I had married a stranger, because I didn’t know who I was, so my choices in relationships were immature.

I view alcoholism as the cure for that of which it purports to be the disease. The symptom alcoholism, has a purpose, and that’s recovery from my emotional and mental problems.

Also for me, alcoholism is a delivery system into spiritual reality, which is the only reality.
That could be me , amazing and thanks .
Old 10-30-2018, 01:56 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

I’m so angry at myself 😡..... because I used alcohol to make me a different person a more social and accepted person by society..... I know I can’t turn the clock back but if I would of just accepted myself and been stronger and said no with conviction, maybe things would of turned out different for me. Now I’m really seeing me as the person I really am... and to tell the truth I like who I am now. However, I’m now learning how to be just me with out alcohol and live a healthier sober and better life... Best wishes everyone 🤗
Old 10-30-2018, 02:14 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

It took away the real me, but I won’t stop until she is back