SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Where Were You? (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/where-were-you/)
-   -   What did alcohol take from you? (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/where-were-you/428100-what-did-alcohol-take-you.html)

Addy2204 08-10-2019 04:04 PM

Alcohol took away my well settled life... My girlfriend whom I loved and my stability.

I stumble home every evening. The neighbors complain on me... So sometimes I just don't come home until early morning !

Sober13 08-26-2019 06:42 AM

Alcohol has taken SO much away from me, writing it down I feel INSANE to have gone back to drinking. As I posted in my intro post, I've recently relapsed and have been isolating at night drinking wine 4/5 nights per week, sometimes to blackout. I rationalize that it's because my mom recently died, or because I'm lonely with my kids at school, or because a 3 year relationship ended. I could go on and on but the point is NOTHING is ever made better under the influence. Thankfully I'm here now trying to get control over this pattern and haven't hurt anyone but myself YET. In the past I've hurt plenty.

In 2012 I got 2 DUI's and lost my license for 4 months and then had an interlock for 3 years. Humiliating for my children and I am SO lucky I didn't go to jail. Because this was during a divorce, my exH (rightly so) petitioned the court for custody and was granted 6 months of full custody and I had visitation after being a stay at home mom for years. Horrible.

I got so drunk at airports I wasn't allowed on flights. Missed a family event.

I've fallen down stairs, blacked out and said cruel things...I could go on and on and I know if I don't stop now ALL of these things or more will happen again. It doesn't get better. How is it that we can forget these horrible moments when we yearn for the very temporary relaxation alcohol brings?

Angel5921 09-04-2019 02:22 AM

Confidence

It took away my confidence and makes me feel worthless and it got worse over the years because of the guilt I felt from binging.

Kind of did the exact opposite of what I thought it was doing.

I have vowed that drinking is over for me.

I accept myself for who I am and accept my past.

Angel5921 09-04-2019 02:26 AM

Originally Posted by Sober13 (Post 7255360)
Alcohol has taken SO much away from me, writing it down I feel INSANE to have gone back to drinking. As I posted in my intro post, I've recently relapsed and have been isolating at night drinking wine 4/5 nights per week, sometimes to blackout. I rationalize that it's because my mom recently died, or because I'm lonely with my kids at school, or because a 3 year relationship ended. I could go on and on but the point is NOTHING is ever made better under the influence. Thankfully I'm here now trying to get control over this pattern and haven't hurt anyone but myself YET. In the past I've hurt plenty.

In 2012 I got 2 DUI's and lost my license for 4 months and then had an interlock for 3 years. Humiliating for my children and I am SO lucky I didn't go to jail. Because this was during a divorce, my exH (rightly so) petitioned the court for custody and was granted 6 months of full custody and I had visitation after being a stay at home mom for years. Horrible.

I got so drunk at airports I wasn't allowed on flights. Missed a family event.

I've fallen down stairs, blacked out and said cruel things...I could go on and on and I know if I don't stop now ALL of these things or more will happen again. It doesn't get better. How is it that we can forget these horrible moments when we yearn for the very temporary relaxation alcohol brings?

Girl, it CAN and WILL only get better. You are 100% right - NOTHING good ever comes from alcohol and it never ever will. Everyday is a new day!! A chance to start over.... No matter how many times youve said youd stopped doesnt matter, aslong as you try again until you succeed!!

Kokoro 11-19-2019 06:39 AM

It took away someone who I feel was the love of my life. It has robbed him of having the amazing life he could have had; the wife and kids he had always dreamt of (with or without me). I fear he still has a few more years of self destruction sadly.

rharman 12-21-2019 12:25 AM

[QUOTE=rharman;7337799]

Originally Posted by Bullwinkle1944 (Post 6907483)

I loved writing and art and theatre, but was always too hungover in college to pursue any of these activities. I stopped caring about them. Pretty soon my only hobby was drinking.

Alcohol also made my anxiety, depression, and social anxiety infinitely worse. It destroyed my confidence and self-worth.

What did alcohol take from you? How can you get it back?<<<

Alcoholic drinking, the drug alcohol temporally relieved my depression, depression I didn’t know I was suffering. If the effect from alcohol weren’t temporary, I wouldn’t have become addicted.

Before my first drink, I blocked my depression and feelings involved with my depression via hyper- activities, mostly sports. Since hyper-activities was a frame of reference, it’s easy in retrospect to see why alcohol went beyond what hyper-activities, in what it did for me. Depending on my mood and circumstances, I had good and bad times, but the good times became increasingly fewer, this is due to tolerance. One aspect of my problems at this point was I was attempting to recapture my original almost euphoric experiences at the beginning of my drinking. Eventually alcohol stopped working for me and that’s when I began to question whether I was an alcoholic.

Alcoholic drinking contributed to my divorce. On the other hand, Alcoholic drinking opened my eyes in realizing I had married a stranger, because I didn’t know who I was, so my choices in relationships were immature.

I view alcoholism as the cure for that of which it purports to be the disease. The symptom alcoholism, has a purpose, and that’s recovery from my emotional and mental problems.

Also for me, alcoholism is a delivery system into spiritual reality, which is the only

When you stopped drinking , did it help your depression ? I stopped drinking three years ago and it has put me in a three year treatment resistant depression .

BillJ 01-08-2020 02:51 AM

It helped...

[QUOTE=rharman;7337800]

Originally Posted by rharman (Post 7337799)

When you stopped drinking , did it help your depression ? I stopped drinking three years ago and it has put me in a three year treatment resistant depression .

I have carried a low-grade depression around with me the majority of my life. It wasn’t always enough to require treatment, but it interfered with my purpose and activities (and enjoyment thereof) and prevented me from being a fully-functional participant in my own life. I’m sure it contributed to my headlong adolescent rush into alcohol and drugs.

Staying sober helped, in that my depression was no longer the intrusive, controlling thing it had become, and I had a number of years of happy, hardworking, productive life. My career progressed at a satisfactory rate, I enjoyed some success in my chosen creative field, my friendships were solid and supportive, and I learned (often through hard lessons) how to be a committed partner in a romance which has endured for 23 years and counting.

However, while it is certainly better than self-destruction, sobriety is not a cure-all. My recent years have been marred by chronic pain due to catastrophic injuries suffered in an on-the-job accident, and chronic pain is virtually guaranteed to cause or exacerbate depression. I’ve had to seek treatment - something I did only sparingly (and under duress) prior to my accident - and with limited success.

Still, my current difficulties do not erase the happy years that precede them, and I firmly believe my sobriety is helping me cope with my disability, pain and, yes, even my depression.

If a suggestion is what you desire, I would suggest you stick with sobriety, and see if it can help you the way it helped me. The change may be subtle and slow in coming, but (in my experience) there will be change for the better!

I wish you well.

Bill J. from Austin

CeeBeeby 01-15-2020 12:11 PM

Alcohol has taken everything.

In truth alcohol has taken from me everything that I hold dear.

2 very special women, guardianship of my own daughter, a previous home, trust, responsibility and sanity. I abused the trust of several people and left it in tatters through booze.

Some of the trust and love I lost I can't get back, it's too late and that's been made clear to me, there's no way back. That's what hurts as much as staying sober

:headbange

Jaxis 01-25-2020 09:48 PM

My youth

Jaxis 01-30-2020 03:23 AM

my drive

Silver22 02-04-2020 01:11 AM

It has taken the person I might have been. I'll never know who that was now. She's still there somewhere in the darkness because I can hear her sometimes. Nevertheless, I'm going to try to be the best person I can be with what I still have - and I there may be good surprises along the way. If I drink, then the end will be slow and painful and that won't be a surprise at all (really don't want to work to get that!).

TimeToChill 02-10-2020 06:13 AM

Alcohol has taken everything that I need to be successful. It has taken my drive. It has taken my empathy and my ability to feel. It has left me as a shell of the person that I could be and want to be.

FreddieGeorge 03-07-2020 01:12 AM

It took my...

dignity
morals
compassion
trust of myself
trust from my family

You take a drink, the drink takes a drink then the drink takes you.

day 16 feeling strong 👊

overforty 07-15-2020 12:40 PM

It's taken my whole adult life.

Dee74 07-15-2020 01:35 PM

It took mine too overforty - but I got it back - you can too :)

D

overforty 07-16-2020 02:12 PM

Originally Posted by Dee74 (Post 7477904)
It took mine too overforty - but I got it back - you can too :)

D

Thanks Dee
I'm having a day 2 again.
I bore myself :headbange

least 07-16-2020 02:52 PM

I had many day two's but my last day two was over 10 and a half years ago. :) It can be done. :hug:

neferkamichael 07-17-2020 12:29 PM

Alcohol took away my will to compete, any kind of drive to do the work necessary to accomplish anything. It all so took away about $75,000 or so that I could sure right now.:egypt:

Bailey3 07-18-2020 05:34 AM

I agree, neferkmichael. I settled for mediocrity. Actually less than mediocrity. In retrospect that’s my biggest regret.

least 07-19-2020 08:57 PM

Drinking took all the joy out of my life and left Depression and Doubt in its place. :( So glad the joy is back and the depression and doubt are mostly gone.