Notices

The aching loneliness...

Old 02-23-2014, 12:36 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Redmayne

The aching loneliness...

Somewhere in the book, 'Alcoholics Anonymous' there's a reference to the 'aching loneliness, that lies so deep in the heart of many alcoholics'...

Yep, I know that feeling, took it with me to A A, and came away with it, 30 years later...some things don't change.

Brought it with me to SRC, where it steadfastly remains ...no communication, no friends, nothing...

Good job I was born a 'real alcoholic, which meant I also have the disease/illness of alcoholism, accounting for all the fear, guilt, insecurities, together with the feelings that I 'don't fit in' or 'I'm just not good enough' all my life.

Otherwise I'd start thinking that my sense of isolation and loneliness, both on here and A A, was my fault...may be it is ?
Old 02-23-2014, 02:27 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hey redmayne -

just a suggestion, but if you branched out and posted a little in other forums, you'd definitely get more communication interaction and feedback - you might even make a cyber friend or two

D
Old 02-23-2014, 05:22 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Well sorry to hear you are still lonely. When I am not working any program, I revert back to my old ways and take my will back which leads me to be lonely. I would consider myself a loner, but I know this is an issue for me and I deal with it accordingly by attending meetings on a regular basis as well as doing activities outside of AA, such as meetups.com and some other sites.
Old 02-24-2014, 12:17 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Redmayne

Thanks for your reply...

Thanks for your constructive reply...I'd qualify my original post by saying that, whilst I don't like being lonely, I do enjoy my solitude...as much as I enjoy the gift of me sobriety, and all it brings.

If no more than in the self reliance on myself rather than others, particularly alcohol...
Old 02-26-2014, 09:40 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Ah yeah, there is a difference for sure. Solitude and loneliness.
Old 03-12-2014, 12:02 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

for me, I don't find forums a good place for making connections.

go to meetings and be around real live people.

as an introvert, smaller meetings are better for me...
Old 03-12-2014, 12:03 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

and as a depression suffer, isolation is bad news...
Old 03-12-2014, 12:44 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I know that feeling, that aching hole deep inside me that there was never enough vodka in the world to fill up. I find that by doing the things I need to be doing anyway, I am slowly filling that hole with pride and self-worth. I ask God to give me guidance every day and then I take the actions I need to and that hole isn't as large as it used to be. I finally believe that I CAN do this. I never really believed any of it would get better before, and was on that cycle of relapse that I just couldn't shake. I don't ever want to have that emptiness inside of me again, and I know that if I drink I will go right back to that.
Old 03-12-2014, 04:02 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
EBD

Smile So true

I am where many others are, just starting my new life free of an addiction. Mine is gambling.

I like your comments.