Notices

'You should be thankful ...'

Old 02-19-2014, 11:01 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Redmayne

'You should be thankful ...'

I came across a saying recently , though who by, I don't know.

It said,'You should be thankful for those in your life who disturb you, as they help you chose the person you don't want to be.'

This afternoon,sober these six years past, returning home from a pleasant visit to see me son and grandson. I received an unexpected 'phone call from a person best described as a former 'drinking buddy' with whom I first became acquainted, it was never anymore than that. You know how these things go,nine years ago.

Regrettably she was showing signs of being drunk, admitting that she had opened a bottle of red wine, apparently presented as a birthday gift on her recent birthday.

The fact she was showing signs of being intoxicated nor the presence of a bottle of wine, didn't disturb me....

What did disturb me, was the fact, albeit she knew I'd made my way into recovery and eventual sobriety,six years ago. Was the fact that she felt necessary to tell me more than once. I'd changed and no longer sounded like the person she once knew...

This statement, from her disturbed, saddened and upset me, for the simple reason that I'd obviously moved on , she hadn't...

I take no pride in saying that, but I am, with regret, as I would've wanted better for her, thankful that she disturbed me...