Notices

'They'....

Old 02-17-2014, 09:35 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Redmayne

'They'....

In my early days, attending A A meetings I heard a lot about 'they'...

My first meeting, taking place at a Homeless Hostel in a poor quarter of the city, dumped there by along time sober member, who I later grew to respect. When I learned where he'd come from and his drinking history. It was doubtless to him, the obvious choice.

To me it was a room full of men, some of them drunk, filled with the smell of sweat, fear and alcohol...of course 'they' were present then and at other meetings I subsequently attended.

'They' said you should on first arriving at he doors of A A meetings, attend 90 meetings , in 90 days...

'They' said, when you first stop drinking you should make any important decisions within the first 12 months...

There's probably a few other of 'they's' sayings that have disappeared in the mists of time over the years.

What 'they' didn't tell me was that a number of those who attended these meetings had problems that had nothing to do with alcohol or alcoholism...

Neither did 'they' tell me anything about how to at least make some inroads into recovery, nor, most importantly that I was a 'real alcoholic' as described in the first line of Chapter 3, 'More About Alcoholism' of the book ,'Alcoholics Anonymous' 4th Ed.

I had to find these things out and subsequently deal with them, all by myself, with the help of the god of my understanding...

'They' nor their philosophy, none of which has ever shown itself to have any credibility, where nowhere to be seen.

Today, I take no account of 'they', whenever 'they' turn up in a conversation regarding anything .... on the basis that my sobriety and all it provides in my simply being the person. The god of my understanding meant me to be, without the delusional crutch of alcohol or alcoholism...

Now able, in recovery and sobriety, to think cognitively (truth and reason), and at the same time, now having the ability to look for credibility in all people, including myself and things.

I realize that the much admired 'they' were as delusional as the disease/illness that gave birth to them and their fallacies.

And that 'they', together with alcohol, have no p[;lace in my life...perhaps that thought applies to you to...