Notices

Rock bottom

Old 02-15-2014, 09:00 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Rock bottom

Sitting on the floor in a jail cell, battered all to hell, in shock, terrified. Spotless record - maybe job and apartment - gone. Yet even through the concussion I remember one clear thing going through my head over and over - "I can't believe I finally got that damn drunk!" Haven't touched a drop since I got out - almost easy really, when you have a memory like that.

Spent three days in there as it was a holiday weekend, jitters, racing heartbeat, no mirrors but I was told I was red as an apple and my eyes looked like I was "screwed" up. Guard or someone must have seen me because a nurse came and asked me if I was detoxing. I said no because I was afraid of everybody. Now I have to go to court-ordered alcohol counseling, which I see as being part of my punishment more than helpful really...but I ain't complaining! It could have been a lot worse!
Old 02-16-2014, 03:09 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Redmayne

I'm always reminded...

When I hear of someone reaching their, 'rock bottom'. I'm always reminded of what I was told a long time ago...

Reaching rock bottom, is a bit like getting in an elevator on the top floor of a tall building.

You can press the button and get out at any floor you want...or you can simply ignore it until you hit the basement and there's nowhere else to go!

Using that analogy it's easy to see why it's often said we all reach our own 'rock bottom' from where, hopefully we all make our own way in to recovery...if you don't, perhaps you haven't reached your rock bottom yet?

Not forgetting that ultimately there are only two endings for alcoholics, insanity or death, and most alcoholics wish the latter comes first!

Anyway, let's hope you've hit you're rock bottom, and from now on, using the analogy of the elevator, the only way for you, in recovery is UP!!!
Old 02-16-2014, 03:37 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I kept moving the bar lower and lower until I could no longer move it.

I was sitting in my living room drunk, as usual, after drinking all day long, as usual and I got that moment of clarity. What was different that time over all the others?, I have no idea. I have searched and can find nothing or no reason why I got it.

That window opened and I feel God came to me and through me through it cause I was not walking there on my own. He has a better plan for me then the one I had for myself.

Today I can see myself so clearly that night. That hopeless state of mind and body was the exact definition of me. I had hit bottom.

Now with the help of the AA fellowship, the program and lots of unconditional love I am almost 11 months sober after 26 years of drinking. I am so grateful to everyone, which includes this message board and the people on it that helped me along the way.

With all of your help and my higher power, I am sober today.