Notices

Leaving delusions behind.

Old 02-12-2014, 11:18 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Redmayne

Leaving delusions behind.

This afternoon I watched a well known,here in the UK at least, reality show, whose host always claims it deals in conflict resolution, albeit to my untrained eye it and the people on it. Appear to cause more conflict than they resolve...

This afternoon's repeat program was entitled an 'Intervention Special, ' where individuals,suffering drink and.or drug addictions are aired before the studio audience and viewing millions, together with their partners, adult children, younger children and babies can be see lurking in the background...and confronted with theirs and there long suffering families misery...

The at one point the whole gang, tv host, his sidekick, apparently in charge of after care, addict, family, health professional, security and camera crew, troop off to the studio garages. Where stands a gleaming limo,manned by a driver and a representative of some no doubt highly expensive detox/rehab center. Immediately ready to , once the addict is given the choice, of returning to the misery of their addiction or being whisked off to rehab. Away from the now horde of people surrounding them...no fanfare.

Doubtless some would say, great tv, but as some one who battled towards recovery, never mind sobriety, even a days sobriety on his own, with little help from anyone ....including A A meetings, which I'd given up on years before I recovered...and then only with the help of the god of my understanding. Six years of sobriety come the 15th Feb., don't knock it.

It occurred to me, in all this showmanship and hullaballo and rants about,'turning your life around' is the very essence of the human factor that's at the core of any human endeavour, whatever the objective, the human spirit, which relies on the ability to think cognitively (truth and reason).

It's all 'smoke and mirrors', hence a delusion, trying to give someone who themselves is delusional, ever known an addict who wasn't? The delusion that if they just surrender themselves, not necessarily their addiction, which is a state of mind caused by whatever substance they're abusing...all will be well.

I think I'll stick to the simple path, I found in the first three suggested 12 Steps of the program of recovery in ,'Alcoholics Anonymous', the only book built on cognitive thinking, that's never lied to me, and leave the delusions on the tv.

After all, 30 years as a delusional alcoholic was enough for me...
Old 02-12-2014, 03:17 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I enjoy reading your posts.
Old 02-12-2014, 10:54 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Redmayne

Thank you....

Thank you, that's a nice compliment. I'm quite flattered, said in all humility, simply because they genuinely do reflect my thoughts and feelings, as I continue to stumble along trying to make spiritual progress...

This I feel is enhanced by the fact that as my recovery has continued, and the quality of my sobriety improved. I have been able to think more cognitively (truth and reason) although this was not so in the early days ...

Now I not only look for, but am more able to discern credibility, in all people, including myself and things. Which is vastly different, and much better than life as a drinking alcoholic...and is undoubtedly one of the great gifts of sobriety ...