Notices

In my living room..

Old 12-23-2013, 10:06 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

In my living room..

Today is day one. I was drunk, but stopped drinking yesterday afternoon. Went to a movie, threw up in the bathroom. Spent the night wondering if my coworkers noticed how wasted I was at the theater. Husband was drinking and drunk all night. He was swinging between being argumentative and crying. I realized I didn't want to keep living like this. My house is a mess. The dogs need food. I look like crap. I feel hopeless and alone. I woke up this morning and decided to look for an AA meeting. Was too lazy to shovel the snow off the car, so I found this site, instead.
I confided in some internet friends. They been very helpful. One is a recovering alcoholic, with many years of sobriety under her belt.
Old 12-23-2013, 10:19 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Some questions...
Are other people like me? I don't feel like I'm experiencing withdrawal. I don't feel like I want a drink, but I know that if I had one I'd drink until the bottle was empty.Why is that? Why can't I just have a glass of wine like a normal person? Why do I feel the need to chug it? Why do I think if one glass was good, 6 would be better?
Old 12-23-2013, 01:50 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Soshi View Post
Some questions...
Are other people like me? I don't feel like I'm experiencing withdrawal. I don't feel like I want a drink, but I know that if I had one I'd drink until the bottle was empty.Why is that? Why can't I just have a glass of wine like a normal person? Why do I feel the need to chug it? Why do I think if one glass was good, 6 would be better?
As far as the withdrawal it seems everyone is different. I am trying to approach my 3rd serious detox, and I can tell you each time has been harder than the last. Last time the withdrawls got a little worse with nightmares, sweating profusely in bed, anxiety attacks. Im approaching 24 hours since my last drink. I've had 8 panic attacks since I woke up today.

As far as just being able to have one... never in my life, as I believe is the case with most alcoholics. When I drink I don't stop until I'm either too waisted or tired, or hungry. So I either pass out or binge on food and passout. Lately I've had a new symptom, blackouts. Never used to happen to me. Since I started drinking again in July after 18 days of sobriety I started having more and more blackouts.

Best wishes to you.
Old 12-24-2013, 05:10 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

ahhhh man in my kitchen
Old 01-16-2014, 08:19 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Shoshi1967 View Post
Some questions...

I am 4 days sober, I was told that after we reach the high... Say 3 drinks for a normal drinker... The brain tries to get the high back ?

Whether true I have no idea, but at times I could have 4 beers , other times get the taste and never stop.

But your question I have asked to myself before, mine would be why can't we stop at 3 ? Why do we get an urge to chug ?
Old 01-16-2014, 09:10 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

For me Its the disease of more. Like I can eat 2 cookies, but I often eat the entire box until there are none left. Why? Just how my brain works.
Old 01-16-2014, 10:02 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Redmayne

A journey ....

'A journey of 1,000 miles, starts with the first step' Ho Chi Minh, this yo have done by finding this site, well done and welcome! Now all you have to do is keep putting one foot in front of the other ....
Old 02-03-2014, 03:37 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Its a crazy thing isnt it, craving more and more, and to be honest I only really enjoyed the first few, then I start feeling miserable/dizzy and I dont even remember after drink 10 so whats the point, I never did figure that out but I knew I had to stop doing it to myself, it makes absolutely no sense. Only on day 2 of sobriety here, I hope you are still sober.
Old 02-09-2014, 01:45 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Shoshi1967 View Post
Some questions... Are other people like me? I don't feel like I'm experiencing withdrawal. I don't feel like I want a drink, but I know that if I had one I'd drink until the bottle was empty.Why is that? Why can't I just have a glass of wine like a normal person? Why do I feel the need to chug it? Why do I think if one glass was good, 6 would be better?
I know that feeling! For me, it's a perverse need for completeness ... once the bottle is open, it needs to be finished. Once the box of beer is open, they need to be drunk. I don't know why, it's just the way my brain works. Go figure :-S
Old 02-09-2014, 06:05 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Redmayne

Millions ...

Contrary to what many people think, it's not the last drink that does the damage, it's the first!

So when you say, that on opening the bottle, albeit you don't experience withdrawal symptoms or feel the need to drink, it,apparently after the first drink, continues for some need in you for a need for completeness', that's not quite right, is it?

Presumably then the alcohol, in your body, because it goes through your digestive system at a much slower rate than a 'normal ' drinker, about 1oz an hour, is, like any drug that remains in you. Sending messages to your brain, not suggesting but telling you, that you have a craving for completeness....which is exactly what happens to 'real alcoholics' ....

If you are a 'real alcoholic' like me. See the first line, Chapter 3, More About Alcoholism, of the book,'Alcoholics Anonymous' 4th Ed.

You'll be able to read of a number of examples of people who felt exactly the way you've described...albeit there's no mention of 'completeness', more the fact that in certain situations , not necessary demanding the slightest requirement to drink and when they were in full control of their faculties. Without any real effort on their part, other than pouring it down their throats, they drank themselves, completely into oblivion and worse...no problem.

So,in answer to your question,are there any others like me? Yes, millions of us, my question in return, having sorted that out, is what are you going to do about it?