Notices

A work of fiction...

Old 02-06-2014, 11:07 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Redmayne

A work of fiction...

Recently reading the latest , fictional, 'police crime genre' novel, of one of my favorite authors, hey! What do you expect after 28 years of working on both sides of the criminal justice system, origami?

I realized that, it being his 13th in a series, to satiate his worldwide fans, in it's gory content. He'd sacrificed quality for content ... not just by increasing the body count, but in the manner of one the victims passing, as both the central character, and no doubt the readers. Had formed a professional and emotional attachment to her!

As the anniversary of my 6th year of sobriety, fast approached, the 15th , Feb.said simply for the sake of clarity.

It occurred to me, comparing my previous 30 years drinking, to those things in my life in sobriety. That I enjoy now, on a daily basis, to ask myself the question. Hey, isn't that just what I did?

Sacrificing my delusional addiction to alcohol, for the quality of my life, not least my ability to think, cognitively (truth and reason), and my physical health, for quantity. Found in the sheer horror of life as an alcoholic. Suffering those feelings we all know so well, of fear, guilt, self loathing, low self esteem, etc. In the process of which making myself bankrupt, mentally, physically and spiritually...

Whilst I'd be the first to admit, life for any alcoholic or addict, is delusional. On reflection of my own life, balanced against what I have now, in sobriety. I see it as, like the novel I've referred to, a work of fiction. During which I sacrificed quality for quantity.

Just a thought ... written as fact, not fiction.