Notices

The reason why...

Old 01-14-2014, 10:20 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

The reason why...

Found this website late at night reading other peoples stores and seeing if one would relate to mine.

Don't know if this will sound silly or not, but the reason why I wanted to go sober was to do with the massive anxiety attacks I used to get when I had a hangover.

I eventually learnt that if i had 3/4 beers drank very slow, that my anxiety was less, but if I had a good night out, that I found my anxiety would be terrible to the point I am throwing up in the bath. So I wanted to quit to stop these attacks and now I am on day 12 and have't had a single panic attack since I stopped.

Does anyone else have the same experience.
Old 01-14-2014, 11:35 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Redmayne

Perhaps...

Perhaps not the same but similar as it's well known and oft heard comment, that a lot of alcoholics seek recovery and ultimately sobriety as,'they get sick and tired of being sick and tired'. I did ...
Old 02-20-2014, 06:42 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I got sick and tired of it too and feeling like I needed a Xanax the next day to get over the hangover....vicous cycle.
Old 02-20-2014, 09:35 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Redmayne

The very nature of alcoholism.

A valid point, but I meant getting sick and tired of the whole repetitive lifestyle of drinking and the total self destructive effect that it has on you as a person. Making you bankrupt, physically, mentally and spiritually...

Hasn't happened yet?

It will ....that's the very nature of alcoholism.
Old 02-21-2014, 04:52 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

It certainly can take its toll on the physical, emotional, mental, and spiritual aspects of life. I think it keeps one from developing in these areas. My ex husband is an alcoholic and finally ended up in ICU for a month unconscious and in liver failure, yellow skin, diapers, feed tubes, didnt know his own name or his own daughter for weeks after he woke up. He survived for some reason and hasn't touched a drop of beer since, but my point is, having known him for 25 years, I see how he never developed emotionally or spiritually during all those years of drinking....he was still the same immature acting teenager in a sense until he quit. I have observed him in the past year and a half start going to church and liking it, as well as trying to develop a relationship with his daughter who is 16. He became a better person and more pleasant to be around. The alcohol had stunted his growth and we grew apart. It has been nice to see him finally quit and the happiness that he has found in everyday things.
Old 02-21-2014, 05:04 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Redmayne

A sobering thought.

I enjoyed your post, it's always good, albeit regrettable at times to hear of experiences like this...

I'm referring to the fact that only the other day I received a 'phone call from a friend, more of a 'drinking buddy' from at least 7 years ago, at a time before I got sober...who I'd not heard from for some time.

That she called and was clearly at least under the influence of intoxicants didn't disturb me.

What did, was that in the course of our conversation was that she repeatedly referred to the fact that I'd changed and was no longer the man she once knew. Oblivious to the fact that at the time I knew her, alcoholic or not I'd helped her when her life was in some crisis! As the result of a disastrous affair which had lead to her being abused, financially, emotionally and physically.

What was clear was that, in her case, sadly, I'd moved on, she hadn't...which was a sobering thought.
Old 02-22-2014, 11:14 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Randummy

Yes. This is exactly the experience I have. I have a few mental health issues but whenever I stop drinking cold turkey, I get awful panic attacks and drink to stop them. It's a horrid cycle really. I basically sweat, panic, sweat, panic and that's my whole coping mechanism.
Old 02-22-2014, 12:47 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Redmayne

There's a suggestion...

Whilst I wouldn't present myself s any form of qualified medical health professional.I am aware that there's a suggestion that for some alcoholics they shouldn't , because of their condition and others associate with it.

It's dangerous for them to suddenly stop drinking, as they can suffer withdrawal symptoms, fits etc...and any such withdrawal should be planned and executed under medical supervision.
Old 02-23-2014, 05:24 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I know what you mean, I feared the hangovers which kept me sober........for a very limited time. The blackouts kept me sober for a very limited time. The knowledge that when I drank and stuff happened which led to imprisonment kept me sober for a very limitited time. There are no amount of meetings in the world that will keep me or anyone else sober. I have to work at a program of action.
Old 02-24-2014, 12:24 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Redmayne

I agree...

One of my favorite quotes comes from Carl Rogers, the late and eminent psychologists.

Who said, 'The curious paradox is that when I accept myself just as I am, then I can change'.

For me, and I suspect many others in recovery, that means taking the action, in my case offered in the suggested 12 Step program of recovery...which lead me to where I am today.
Old 02-24-2014, 09:02 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Are you sober today redmayne?
By working the 12 steps, its very highly likely you are sober today.
When we are sober, we can take on the world without the fog and haze of booze.
Congratulations to all who are sober today by the grace of god.
Old 02-24-2014, 09:11 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I went through a period where I had terrible anxiety with a hangover. Our brain chemicals are all scattered after a bout of heavy drinking and we begin to imagine terrible things happening because after all, we feel that bad.
Old 02-24-2014, 09:13 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Randummy

Originally Posted by Sorensen View Post
I went through a period where I had terrible anxiety with a hangover. Our brain chemicals are all scattered after a bout of heavy drinking and we begin to imagine terrible things happening because after all, we feel that bad.
Agreed. The morning anxiety attacks were awful.
Old 03-11-2014, 11:54 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

i was dealing with anxiety from stopping drinking.

might be the withdrawl, or the shock of having to deal with real life...