Notices

Where I was, then I found this forum....

Old 06-15-2013, 05:08 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Nothing is impossible!

Where I was, then I found this forum....

I actually have been sober for over 2 years, and was sort of in a rut. I have been cleaning up a lot of things I ignored and let fester when I used to drink. Financial stuff and things like that.

It was like a month ago, and I was actually doing some research on furthering my education to become a licensed counselor (Master's). I somehow stumbled here and I don't remember the first post I read, but it reminded me so much of when I first got sober. I could practically feel the pain and desperation in the posters note, that I immediately made an account just so I could answer them and provide some advice and support.

I realized after I posted, I felt really good about being able to possibly help someone who was where I used to be. It was a great reminder of where I was and how far I have come. It lit a spark in me that I had been looking for, and I kept coming back. So many people struggling and in the throws of addiction, it breaks my heart. I know those feelings and the struggles all too well, so if I can post a few times a day and help someone else, then that is what I will continue to do.

Ive never let my guard down in regards to my alcoholism or when I am around alcohol. I know I will never be able to drink in moderation and have no delusions that enough time sober and my addiction will go away. That being said, being here has reaffirmed every reason I decided to change my life, and the constant reminder I get every-time I log in just builds up my strength and affirms my life choice(not that I ever doubt it at this point). Who knows what will happen in my life. I am riding high right now and feeling amazing, but as we all know, life has its speed bumps. I feel I will be better equipped for them having this forum in my life. I am grateful I found this place.
Old 06-15-2013, 05:19 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

t
Originally Posted by Nighthawk8820 View Post
Who knows what will happen in my life. I am riding high right now and feeling amazing, but as we all know, life has its speed bumps. I feel I will be better equipped for them having this forum in my life. I am grateful I found this place.
You're right, SR is not only a good place to lend a helping hand - but it's also a huge relief to be able to lean on the people here when you're struggling. I am almost a year sober and was "riding high" these last few months and feeling indestructible for a period. I was here to give advice, not take it. But the last month has been a real tough grind for me and my confidence has taken a hit. There aren't many meetings or other support groups in my area, thank goodness I knew I could count on SR when times got tough.

This place keeps me humble, and it's good to see that people like you also appreciate the entire spectrum of giving-and-receiving here. We're sure glad to have you around, pal! Seems like your perspective is pretty solid!
Old 06-17-2013, 11:25 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Keeping it simple!

Originally Posted by Nighthawk8820 View Post
I know I will never be able to drink in moderation and have no delusions that enough time sober and my addiction will go away.
Me too! I know I can't become complacent or arrogant in my recovery. I found this site when I was 5 months sober. I like coming here and reading all the stories.

The newcomer forum reminds me of where I cam from and keeps me grounded. The family forum reminds me of the person I don't want to be. There isn't a day that goes by that I don't come here. I might not post everyday, but I do read.

I know I will always have to work on myself and this site helps with that. It can be daunting, but at the sametime it is rewarding to see that I really can change.