Notices

Good afternoon people

Old 03-11-2013, 06:52 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Good afternoon people

So I found this place and thought I may share my short story. I'm 29 and have always had a up and down relationship with alcohol. I have family history of alcohol abuse but I dont believe that we can blame our genes too much for our choices in life.
I recieved a double lung transplant back in 2009 due to cystic fibrosis and shortly after lost my best friend to the illness. After my best friends death Iwent a bit crazy and at least once or twice a month got so drunk on nights out that I would black out. My friends and family were at their wits end and not knowing what to do. I have a long term boyfriend who I am very lucky to have.
I calmed down from this and it happened again every three or four months where I would have a big blow out- not intentionally but once drunkI wouldn;t be able to stop. I'm also diabetic and know that a lot of my problems come from being drunk and not responding or feeling hypos come.
Anyway I decided some months ago that I would track my drinking and I thought I was doing so well. I dont drink every week, only when going out but at the weekend there I once again ended up incredibly drunk and non compesmentas.
My parents had to come get me- I'm 29!!!
I have decided that the only way to deal with this problem is to quit drinking all together. My life aside from the days after drinking is really good, I have issues to deal with but so does everyone. Mine are mainly the guilt of surviving CF when my best friend died and also the fact that I was so close to death right before transplant.
I dont know what I'm after by putting this up there but I feel a little liberated knowing that my drinking is over.
I was sick of people making excuses for me, sick of me saying it was down to all the things that went wrong in life and decided that only ONE person can change my circumstances and take responsibility for my actions. ME!

Kirsty DAY ONE
Old 03-11-2013, 11:14 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hi there - you sound as though you've come a good point where you can make the decision. I too am new to this forum but I spent a lot of time here yesterday and this morning reading the posts and people here are very down to earth and positive so I think it's a good place to come and get support. Good luck on your journey x
Old 03-11-2013, 02:24 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome to SR Kirsty
Feel free to come join us in the Newcomers forum too

Newcomers to Recovery - SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

D