Notices

Hello everyone

Old 01-21-2013, 03:12 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Hello everyone

I discovered this website last night at a time where I needed support and am overwhelmed by the kind words and advice I've already received.
A little about myself: I'm 25 years old and recently hit 18 months clean and sober. I was a total garbage head, starting with pot and alcohol when i was 11 and by 18 I was taking all sorts of psychedelics, pills, and other dry goods. I couldn't deal with reality at all, I needed to be under the influence of whatever I could find to 'function'. At the age of 21 I was hit by a drunk driver and got addicted to the percocet my doctor prescribed to me for my back (I wasn't taking it the way the bottle prescribed, but that goes without saying). Once my script ran out, I was buying opiate pain pills on the street and before long i found out that heroin was a lot cheaper and more effective. After only a few months of sniffing heroin I was put on academic probation at my school and moved back in with my parents. Before turning 23 I started using it intravenously and any manageability I may have perceived I still had was gone. I stole and ripped off friends and family with no remorse as long as I could get my fix. I went through a few detoxes but got high the moment I would get out. After selling all of possessions that I could get money for and my parents' resorting to a safe to stop me from stealing from them I got caught stealing from cars and was put into jail. Thankfully, the state gave me a shot with long term treatment and probation. I graduated my treatment program at the end of May 2012, got a job and an apartment. I also started taking night courses part time at the local community college with the goal that I'll eventually get myself back into a 4 year college. I still go to meetings about 4 times a week, I do not think I would have made it without the help of AA. The past 2 months have indeed been a hardship, I lost my job because of a lack of work and have been unable to find another job. A lot of that probably has to due with my criminal record. And also my sponsor passed away a few days before christmas which has been devastating to me. Despite all this, I know that as long as I do the next right thing and stay away from a drink or a drug, things will get better. As the saying goes "this too shall pass". If anyone new to recovery or sobriety reads this, I promise you that it gets better if you're willing to put work into it. And believe me, this is a lot easier than being on the street trying to figure out how to get the next one. This looks like a great place too, I'll definitely be on here a lot now that i know about it.
Old 01-21-2013, 09:04 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Good on you!

Fantastic effort samtron!!! I especially admire you getting clean and sober a. for so long and b. so young; and despite the no doubt significant difficulties for you now, what with no work AND being gutted by your sponsor's death - you are truly an inspiration.

I hope and pray for you that you don't pick up again - believe me, as a 57 y.o. woman, I would give anything to be back at your age AND clean and sober - this means that you can truly start making a good life for yourself. Rock on!
Old 01-21-2013, 09:18 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome to SR Samtron

D
Old 01-23-2013, 04:28 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Welcome Samtron! Do take it lightly that you have managed to be clean at such a tender age. Thank God for everything. Remain positive and stay focused towards this journey. You are young and you are definately going to enjoy so many rewarding years in days to come.

Am really happy for you!