Notices

I found SR on my 2nd day of Sobriety.

Old 05-13-2012, 05:45 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I found SR on my 2nd day of Sobriety.

I was soaked in sweat, heart pounding, body shaking all over, dry heaves, headache and a feeling of complete terror. I googled "symptoms of alcohol withdrawal" and one of the results was a thread on this site. I read numerous posts from people who have been through the exact same thing as me and found many helpful tips on how to get through the withdrawals and where to seek help for recovery.

I came back the next couple of days and kept reading members' stories of their struggles with alcohol I came back on day 5 of sobriety and joined SR.

I always knew I was not alone in my struggles, but my fear of dealing with people and leaving the house kept me out of the AA meetings. I have been to many AA meetings in many different groups and even in different cities. Some where helpful and some felt like a waste of time.

I have read the big book twice.

At AA meetings, the group leader asks "Is this anybody's first, second, or third meeting since their last drink?" I felt like I was in confession. I didn't like to talk about my problems sometimes and usually kept quiet. Sometimes I would own up to it and I'd get a 24 hour chip and cry.

I will go back to AA. I am getting over my fear and I know AA is a great place and I will be in those rooms again.

This is a great place too. I feel like there is so much support and inspiration and I can come here any day or night!

Thank you all so much!

Old 05-13-2012, 05:47 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome aboard engel

D
Old 06-03-2012, 02:16 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Me too.
It is today.
Old 06-03-2012, 02:30 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

welcome to you too Green Bear

Take a look around - you'll find a lot of support here - feel free to join us in the Newcomers forum too

D
Old 06-03-2012, 03:16 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I found this site on my second day as well. I love it. I have not posted much in the last week, but this is a site I intend on being a part of for a long time.
Old 06-04-2012, 11:09 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by gunther84 View Post
I found this site on my second day as well. I love it. I have not posted much in the last week, but this is a site I intend on being a part of for a long time.
Yeah this place is holding me together right now tho I have to go to work grr
Old 06-05-2012, 09:25 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Redmayne

It's been heard said...

It's been heard said, that no one just wakes up one day and thinks,'Oh, hey! I think I'll just pop down to AA, or join SRC, today, just to sort my drink problem out!'

We all arrive here by different paths, how we progress in recovery and let's not forget sobriety, is quite an undertaking to!

Noting that you've already read the Big Book twice, one of myfavourites , in the personal stories, is ,'The Keys to the Kingdom', particularly the piece near the end, when the author suggests that AA, is not a plan for recovery that can be finished and done with some, but is a way of life....see page 275, 4th Ed.

So it's good to see you here and I wish you well on yopur journey of recovery.
Old 06-11-2012, 09:59 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Hi friend...hope you have a very long sober journey
Old 06-13-2012, 02:10 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Redmayne

Alcohol-ISM.

I'd obviously endorse the previous post, simply adding,by way of what I hope will be seen as constructive comment, that for me,the name of our disease/illness is ,Alcohol-ISM, the alcohol, being but a symptom,the -ISM, being a life lead in recovery and sobriety.

No doubt like me, and many, many others, no one poured alcohol down mine, theirs or your throat, right, we did it all on are own.

So, in revovery there may be help and support from various scources, other recovering alcoholics, family, friends, if you've still got any left, health professionals, spiritual advisors, etc., etc.

But recovery is very much like spirituality, it cannot be taught, it has to be learned , primarily by experiential learning and justas the path that lead us here is our own, although, quite rightly, it's often said, if you stick around long enough ,you'll hear someone tell your story.

Recovery is very similar,the most important thing is to recognise and accept that this is your recovery and yours alone!

Life is not a dress rehearsal, there's no second chance, because a return to drinking alcohol holds no guarantee that you, I or anyone will ever reach this point again, and many haven't!

So, I wish you well, may the god of your understanding go with you...
Old 06-13-2012, 02:17 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Zee

I found this site after being 6 months sober... I really wish I had found it sooner.
Old 06-13-2012, 11:56 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Redmayne

I, for one...

Well, I for one, given that it to took some time to find it, after my ,'alcoholism' was taken from me, are glad you're here! Thank you...
Old 06-14-2012, 12:33 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Welcome Engel and Greenbear, to SR. This is the great place . You will get lots of support here.
Old 06-14-2012, 06:45 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Redmayne

Yes...

Yes, welcome, Engel, Greenbear et al, I hope you live for a 1,000 years, and break all the rules...
Old 09-26-2012, 07:14 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I found this site on my 2nd day as well

same way... googling alcohol withdrawal symptoms. I'm really excited to be here and have a truly anonymous place to come to for support, day or night. The town I live in is very small, and I have therefore been reluctant to go to AA meetings. But its great to have an online community to turn to for advice and support.
Old 10-22-2012, 12:14 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

same here Google

Found SR within the first couple of days of being sober. Really nice knowing that I can come online for support from thousands going through the same distress of recovery at any given time. Thanks SR!
Old 10-22-2012, 01:58 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

I found SR on my second day of recovery as well. I am now 12 days clean and feel better than I have in a very long time! Being able to read others stories has helped me so much. I know that I am not alone in my journey to a clean and healthy life! 💗
Old 01-02-2013, 10:20 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

I'm new here, but not new to recovery. After a few years of wanting to quit drinking I got very serious two days ago - New Year's Eve. But decided to have a few drinks with a friend and start sobriety on NY. It's kind of clique, but unplanned. Just after days and days of drinking - having a break for the holidays, I am realizing how enslaved I am by it and how I can keep just existing, doing the bare minimum, not knowing from one morning to the next what kind of day I will have - too hungover to do anything, too hungover to do anything well, or maybe I lucked out with no hangover. Life as it is is too hard to keep going like this - adding more problems. I am missing out on my kids lives - waiting for them to go to bed so I can drink and smoke cigs. Being too tired and hungover to do anything with them, etc. I am also a creative person, but it gets completely sucked away as I live this way.

I did a lot of reading on the forums yesterday and it is so refreshing to finally read stories of people who drink like I do. None of my friends drink like me - or if they do they are fine with it and don't understand why I'm not fine with it. I don't think I will miss drinking with friends because I don't really enjoy drinking with them anyway. I work really hard to drink as little as I can with them so I don't embarrass myself, then go home and drink more by myself.

When I was sober before (I did not use any recovery groups, just by myself), I really enjoyed being sober. Sure I wanted to drink at times, but as time went on the benefits from not drinking were so amazing I didn't want to risk any of it. I could come and go anytime. My general health and mood were fairly predictable, I could get enjoyment out of non alcoholic drinks like carbonated water, tea, coffee, etc. Not sure why I started again. I think I just really didn't want to label myself an alcoholic because I didn't want to make any commitments in case I wanted to drink again. I have drank and gotten sober again three times in my life now. The first time I was very young - 16 and it was forced. I stayed sober 8 years and had lingering doubts the whole time. The second time, I just wanted to be sober without the commitments or accountability. This time, I will make myself accountable by going to AA. I have some friends taking me to a meeting tonight. That's all for now...