Notices

Newcomer on his way!

Old 03-08-2012, 09:35 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Newcomer on his way!

Greetings to you all, this is my first post. Second day without a drink.

So, I'll tell you about myself. I'm 21 years old male, and I've been drinking heavily last 2 years. My weekly intake have previously been 28 beers, which I cut to 24, then 20, and then 18. Now I'm quitting it once and for all, and not looking back. Better to quit now than never, safe than to be sorry.

I was once moderate user, that got hit by facts of life and thought that alcohol would help him to control his anxiety and means of escape from negative experiences. How wrong was I, running away from my problems only made them bigger and uglier and made facing them only more difficult. I've ran enough and it's time to be a man and not a mouse.

I've had no physical symptoms. I'm not really sure am I addicted or am I "just" risk-user, but nevertheless - it's a problem, that will eventually grow if something is not done.
I've had occasional cravings for drinking and agitated feelings.

I've been thinking about quitting before, but never had enough motivation to do that. Yesterday I made the choice. Alcohol is going to ruin my body, my mind and my future if I don't quit it now. It's not me drinking alcohol anymore, it's alcohol drinking me.
Old 03-08-2012, 10:17 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Redmayne

Alcohol-ISM

Hi, nice to see you here, I'm sure if you take advantage of all the facilities on this site it will provide all the help, not only you but all of us need.

I was quite taken by your post, for two reasons, firstly, as it appears in your poost, you're doing it for yourself, excellent! A lot of people make the mistake of trying to quit for other people, partners, friends, family etc. Big mistake!!!! Whilst it's true they may benefit from that, there's only one person getting sober and that's you! You're the most important person, as a newcomer, here today.

Secondly, I tend to call our disease/illness, alcohol-ISM, the alcohol is but a symptom, a life destroying symptom nevertheless. The -ISM'S I think of as , LIFE itself, which is destroyed by the symptom, alcohol, hope that makes sense. So, as you've said you still have enough respect for your mind and body to pursue your recovery that's also good news! But, has as been proved over and over again, you can't do it in willpower alone, doesn't work, believe me and anyone else who tells you that.

So it's probably a good idea to take a look at the 12 suggested Steps in the programme of recovery, just take your time, no need to rush and get all the help yuou can from SRC and AA meetings, again take it easy but try 'em out. One way or another you'll make progress, we've all been there.

May the god of your understanding go with you.