Notices

This changed my recovery

Old 03-05-2012, 03:44 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
I Am Burning ; I Will Rise

Smile This changed my recovery

I was at work when I found this site.....on my 3rd day free of Suboxone or any opiates, though that was my main DOC. I had already missed a day of work and forced myself to come in....though productivity was lacking needless to say. I started out just looking around online for info about Sub w/d and how long it generally lasts and what to expect and such....I found all the same old "Prescription information" and "Side effects" so on that are reposted everywhere a thousand times....nothing I really needed to help my psychologically. I eventually crossed the site and started browsing, I had never come onto a recovery site, though I had perused countless sites abotu drug use and the best ways to use them, experiences, etc.....which was not what I wanted to see. When I started to realize that so many people posting were early on in their detox also, and were still fighting for it, and supporting eachother like family regardless of how new or unfamiliar they were....I knew there was something to it. Several days of my detox were terrible, but I stayed glued to SR going in and out of posts. I found security and solace in people's stories like mine, if they could do it, I can do it, if they're still fighting through it, so can I. It's so much more encouraging when you know others can relate and are also dealing with it. And one thing I never expected to help make my recovery easier, was actually not thinking about me, but posting helpful and supportive responses to other people's recoveries. It makes you feel good, and connected, and gives you a reason to come back and keep those connections. It gives you a place to commune with clean people or people trying to be clean...not people that just talk about how great drugs are or the most efficient ways to use them. I've relapsed in the past and been addicted for years....but this was the first time I've ever had or given this kind of support. I love this site and the people on it, it's made my life better. I'm now 10 days in, and I'm not going back. Everyday really does get better, but it also takes effort and work...not just sitting there waiting to wake up clean and free and feeling awesome....if you want it work for it, and you will get it. Best of luck to everyone.
Old 03-05-2012, 03:52 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Great post stopdropburn - thanks

D
Old 03-06-2012, 04:04 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Redmayne

You are no longer alone...

Great post, thank you, nice to see you here,...for myself, one of the great benefits of SCR, is that like all addivts, no matter what the cause, alcohol, drugs etc., whilst your involved in your addiction, you gain a great sense of isolation no matter where you are, 'goes with the territory', therefore, for me , like many others to find yourself in the position of being no longer alone, sharing the path to recovery is wonderful. After all, we all got here by different paths, to then find some common ground andshare it with others is the best aid to recovery anyone can have.
Old 03-08-2012, 08:41 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
I Am Burning ; I Will Rise

Originally Posted by Redmayne View Post
Great post, thank you, nice to see you here,...for myself, one of the great benefits of SCR, is that like all addivts, no matter what the cause, alcohol, drugs etc., whilst your involved in your addiction, you gain a great sense of isolation no matter where you are, 'goes with the territory', therefore, for me , like many others to find yourself in the position of being no longer alone, sharing the path to recovery is wonderful. After all, we all got here by different paths, to then find some common ground andshare it with others is the best aid to recovery anyone can have.
Absolutely right. Community who understands you and vice versa is a world of difference from fighting alone and/or only with the aid of people who have never experienced addiction nor have the compassion to help you through. I appreciate the responses guys.