Notices

I love recovering alcoholics, as much as....

Old 11-25-2011, 11:23 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Redmayne

I love recovering alcoholics, as much as....

I love recovering alcoholics, as much as I love my sobriety. Those who know personally are I aware that I am a voracious reader, and have been all my life. So to me, even to this day to enter a library that I've never visited before, literally sends shivers of anticipation down my spine. I love books!

I got that same shiver tonight, when having not logged on to SRC, and this, my favourite forum, immediately saw that recovering alcoholics have been busy in my short abscence, with 5 or 6, new threads being posted, most of them relatively short, but hey!, whose counting, for it's not the length of the thread but the depth and pain and passion displayed in it, by those who just like me are, recovering alcoholics. The length of their sobriety doesn't matter to much either, it's the quality that counts, the real effort to make spiritual progress, even with the odd ,'slip' thrown in, we've all done that, or come close to it. It's not the 'slip' that counts, it's how you deal with it afterwards that matters.

So, just as I've enjoyed a lifelong love affair with libraries and books, I love recovering alcoholics, as much as I love my sobriety, for in their outpourings, I see myself, and when I see me, reflected in others, who I can identify with andlearn from, it strengthens my sobriety.

Proust once said something to the effect, that in their choice of books, it reflects the readers own personality, in my case, that's certainly true. So thank you those who contribute threads to this forum , I'm sure you pass on something to all those who read your posts.
Old 11-26-2011, 01:34 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
You Have To Do It For Yourself

Redmayne

Even though my drug of choice wasn't alcohol you are the first person I've ever heard say something I have been saying for year's. If/when you relapse, it's not the relapse that counts, it's what you do the next day. Thank You for sharing that with us