Notices

'No Country for Old Men'

Old 11-07-2011, 09:59 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Redmayne

'No Country for Old Men'

Last night I managed to watch the award winning film,'No Country for Old Men', on my third attempt, in its entirety, the telivison channel scheduling it for a much earlier start time as it had on previous occasions, with a running time of 2hrs 20mins it previously shown at a time way past my bedtime.

One of the main characters was, Sherriff Tom Ed Bell, a career lawman, the profession stretching way back in his family lineage, played by Tommy Lee Jones, regarded by me as a fine actor and in a small way identified by me on the basis that in the film and in my life, we shared the same profession and the same birthday.

Being a Cohen brothers film, there was no immediately conclusive end, inferences allowed to be drawn by the viewer from its title and content.

What did strike me, was the scene in the film, towards its end, when ostensibly Bell (Jones) had retired and was reflecting on his career,he ramarked that he somehow had expected to find god!

That really, to me, hit home, because it reminded me that over a thirty year history of alcoholism, constantly seeking release, from the ,'lash of John Barleycorn', which never came, it wasn't until I understood and took the action outlined in the opening line of Chapter 5, 'HOW IT WORKS' , "Rarely have we seen a person fail....' of 'Alcoholics Anonymous' and handed mylife and (self) will over to the god of my understanding did I begin to make make the smallest inroads in what, despite my cyncism. 28 years of working on both sides of the criminal justice system, will make a cynic out of anyone, would lead to the dark and wonderful events that ocurred on the night of the 14/15th of Feb., 2008, when, undergoing, for no other explanation has been forthcoming, a 'spiritual experience', or 'psychic change', my alcoholism was taken from me.

In the film, Bell (Jones), continues his remark by saying that if he'd have found god, may be god wouldn't have wanted him, part of his character as a weather beaten, world weary peace officer, trying to enforce the law in a world which is deteriorating to such an extent that it is,'No Country for Old Men'.

All in all, I quite enjoyed it, not least as I retired for the night, I didn't have think, as the character in the film had done, that may be one day I'd find god, I took the god of my understanding to bed with me, and, guess what?

He's still here now, I don't wish the pain and suffering my disease, alcoholism on any one, nor those who surround them, but , as my friend 'soberlicious' says, there's an awful lot of joy in recovery,...may the god of your understanding, go with you...
Old 01-25-2012, 03:53 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hmm. It seems like I had not watched the movie yet. I will be looking for it tonight and will be going to watch it for more inspirations.
Old 02-21-2012, 01:04 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

One of my favorite movies. It captures the humanity, cruelty, and insanity of the world in such an amazing way. That scene you refer to with sherrif bell's brother is my favorite. I don't have God, but my life would probably be better if I found Him.

I'm so jaded...
Old 02-21-2012, 02:35 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Redmayne

Winston Churchill said...

Winston Churchill said,'Success is the ability to go from one failure to another, with the same enthusiasm' which is in many sense, in firstly getting sober, until the words in the BB, 'Those who thoroughly follow are path...' sunk in, doh! sunk in and I really tried on a daily basis to make spiritual progress, by seriously following the suggested 12 Step programme of recovery.

Even now, when I feel 'jaded' I remember Carl Sandburg's words,'A society (or individual,my words) that forgets where it came from, will destroy itself', that'll get me on my self appointed ,'refresher course', reading my AA books, listening to CD's I've accumalated over theyears, etc., doing those things that work for me with renewed effort, that stops me feeling jaded. In the BB's personal stories,'The Keys to the Kingdom' always hits the spot. Never fails.