Notices

A 'psychic change'...

Old 10-08-2011, 11:43 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Redmayne

A 'psychic change'...

The Sobertime calendar tells me that 1332 days have now passed since the events of the night of the 14th/15th of February,2008, when alone and unaided and so debilitated I could only crawl to my bed and lie there in fear that I would not see the morning light appear. Praying and crying out,to the god of my understanding that the pain and suffering endured in my 30 years of alcoholism be taken from me. I could only surrender to the inevitibility of my fate.

This was balanced by what I had read fundamental Buddhism's,'The Four Noble Truths' which have much to say on the subject of 'suffering', as I passed into oblivion...

Within days,although still physically and mentally weak, it was apparent that my alcoholism had been taken from me. Requests to Doctors and Counsellors at the local Alcohol and Drug Abuse unit offered no explanation for this event, other than the obvious advice that,'if a wheel ain't broken, don't fix it', something that remains to this day along with my gratitude.

Reflecting on this and the contents of p.xxv, 'The Doctors Opinion' in ,'Alcoholics Anonymous' 4th Ed., about the necessity for a ,'psychic change' p.xxix, along with the Dalai Lama's statement that,'Buddhism is not a religion, it is the science of the mind', I wonder how much of those two pieces of information affected the previosly described events all those days ago. Not least because the the actual sentence in,'The Doctors Opinion' reads,'One feels that something more than human power is needed to produce the essential psychic change'.

In any event, mine is not to question, it's ok to look back, it's not ok to stare, and whether I had a 'psychic change' or underwent a ,'spiritual experience', in the grand scheme of things, doesn't really matter, the proof remains, otherwise I wouldn't be sat here tapping the keys writing this 'thread'.

I adhere to my simple Christian beliefs and the fundamental Buddhist principles, and offer my gratitude to the god of my understanding by trying to make spiritual progress as opposed to claiming spiritual perfection.

Now there are some people that claim sobriety can be attained without any form of spirituality, let alone any reference to a 'psychic change', no problem, 'live and let live', but the one thing I'm sure of, for I know it in my heart, that as long as I keep making that spiritual progress using whatever knowledge or belief that enhances it, my sobriety will endure.