Notices

Where Was I and How Am I Today.

Old 09-14-2011, 09:49 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Where Was I and How Am I Today.

Well. I found this site by chance back in July I believe of this year. I had just gotten off a 3 day bender and I was very hungover of course after 3 days drinking and not stopping but only to sleep. This was while my time on my own in a house with room mates where I had no one who could tell me I wasn't allowed to drink. I was very ill. Getting sick in my garbage bucket and filled it up completely and had to dump it for another round. So I tried to do things to keep my mind off of the sickness because it was getting to the point where my body had no more to give but dry heaves. Anyway I had contacted my sponsor and told him what I had done. It seemed I could never keep my mouth shut for long when I drank. He decided I should go back to detox because of my symptoms I described. I was scared out of my mind because of how I was feeling. I was afraid to go to sleep because I felt sometimes I wouldn't wake up again after how much I had so my body was working over time and I was shaking. So I spent a full day on this site scared and sick to death.

But now Now I am doing amazing because I have moved out of that household and back to my parents where I'd like to call it a safe haven for me to get better now. Because even though I went back to detox i was still wanting to drink. I didn't think so at the time but then I continued and tried to do the moderation drinking, worked.... once.... only to go back out the next day to buy more! And there I drank more! I was back in the same situation again but I didn't go to detox and I had drank 4 days straight this time.

Sorryfor jumping back and fourth here lol. So now coming tomorrow I will have reached 1 month of being sobered! Thank god! I have been able to maintain my gratitude and take my programme more seriously this time around. I've been to meetings almst every night with the exception of this past week because I have gotten a viral throat infection But I've come on here to read stories and post supportive words, something I've never done in the past before. It's really amazing how I came across this site in my time of need and now I have at least given back by writing supportive words to others who are in need. I really do like giving out a helping hand, something I never thought of before. I also have been doing more service work such as coming early to my home group and helping set up chairs and making coffee and I finally accepted a service job for looking after the literature at our group for newcomers who come into our doors Feel really good about it. This site is amazing to come to! I think it's a great added supportive system beyond AA and for anyone who thinks AA isn't for them. Thanks for reading my SR friends
Old 09-16-2011, 01:23 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Redmayne

It reminds me...

The one thing I love about my visits to SRC, whether undertaken to catch up on the new threads, revisit old ones or even contribute, it is a constant and welcome reminder of the most important thing in my life, that like it or not, and certainly without my permission, having nothing to do with the length of my sobriety.

I am an alcoholic, granted since the 15th, Feb., 08, a sober,'recovering alcoholic' , giving me, no matter my past achievements or failures, a sense of identity and belonging, which I find very important, because from that comes a sense of belonging and security, these are, for me,who has lead a nomadic, gypsy like existence for most of his life.

So I'm always heartened when I read that someone has found SRC, no matter how or why they got there, the journey isn't important, the arrival, with what is offered to those who stay, is!

May the god of your understanding be with you...always.