Notices

Making spiritual progress...

Old 08-03-2011, 03:15 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Redmayne

Making spiritual progress...

As my period of sobriety lengthens,1263 days now, I realise the truth of why my illness/disease, is in some quarters, rightly termed,alcohol-ISM, the alcohol looked upon as a symptom, the -ISM' remaining long after that is removed, providing the necessity, on a daily basis for me to hand my life and will over to the god of my understanding in my prayers and meditation.

I've long known that my biggest enemy and that of every suffering alcoholic is ,'self will', which in mine and many others manifest itself, as was often mentioned in my early days attending A.A. meetings as,'stinking thinking!' I was never really sure what this phrase meant then, in sobriety I know now, without what buddhists refer to as ,'mindfulness' focussing on their actions and behaviour throughtout the day, breathing, sitting,walking etc., my head, given the slightest motivation will run riot, next thing you know I'm the main character in a book I'm reading or a movie on tv.

Vigilence, of myself, not others, this is a 'selfish programme' right! Is my watchword, remembering I've handed my life and will over...so that those who would disturb my serenity are contained or in some cases removed,albeit not at my hand,whilst at the same time taking personal responsibility for my own sobriety and serenityin my own actions and behaviour.

The buddhists would have it that in the 'Realm of the Spirit', of which there are 10, the 9th is,'to be a human being' not as easy as it looks, but a great thing, in sobriety to strive for, I think we refer to it as making spiritual progress...