Notices

Once an alcoholic...

Old 07-31-2011, 12:42 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Redmayne

Once an alcoholic...

'Once an alcoholic, always an alcoholic'...the Sobriety Calendar informs me that I have now been sober 1261 days...I guess like many others there were times, in my drinking days,the thought that I'd be sober for even a day seemed an impossibility.

Since the date of my sobriety, my life has changed, not necessarily in the material sense, that was never really an option but in ways that bring so much pleasure, the sense of being me whilst still attempting to make spiritual progress with my daily thoughts, prayers and meditation to the god of my understanding,a blessing in itself.

Tomorrow, the 1st of Aug., marks the start of the last full month of my 64th year, come Sept., by its end I will be 65, no big deal in one sense, other than the fact that my income will increase by 50%, lifting me well above the 'poverty level' I have lived in since I got sober, furthermore it will continue to increase by another substantial amount in the three years following...so where is this taking me??? I've no idea but one thing I know I must keep uppermost in my mind is the thought, 'once an alcoholic, always an alcoholic' for otherwise a return to my drinking and the loss of my sobriety will spell the end of all I've achieved thus far, emphasised by the feeling in me, that this time there will be no way back...

Fortunately I have always had in mind the words,in the story,'The Keys of the Kingdom' on page 275 of the Big Book, 4th Ed., that begins,'A.A. is not a plan for recovery that can be finished and done with. It is a way of life....' I have always taken great note of this, and expect this, along with the support found on SRC together with those daily thoughts, prayers and meditation, previously mentioned and my belief in the god of my understanding, making spiritual progress, to continue to sustain that most valuable prize...my sobriety...
Old 07-31-2011, 01:33 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Congratulations, speaking for myself I am envious of your almost 4 years of sobriety. Fantastic effort and job, but more importantly your attitude and the memory you maintain that it could all go away with simply a sip of beer!

I am very encouraged by your strength!

Thanks for the story
Old 07-31-2011, 10:59 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Redmayne

Carl Sandburg...

A special,'Thank you' for your response to my post, simply because of your comment regarding 'my memory', in my recovery and as a part of it, perhaps reflected in the threads title, there are a number of key factors, 1. the name of the disease/illness is alcohol-ISM, the alcohol is just a symptom, it'sthe -ISM's, more generally known as our daily existence with its inherent 'problems' e.g. the car won't start, an unexpected bill arrives etc., etc.,that have to be dealt with...2. I am a 'real alcoholic' as described in Chapter 3 of 'the Big Book' 4th Ed. which simply means I was born with a genetic disposition to become an alcoholic, evidenced in the fact that my digestive system breaks down alcohol at a much slower rate than a 'normal social drinker', about 1oz. per hour, thus the drug stays in my system longer, creating the usual debilitating effects...3. without doubt, as again described in the book,'Alcoholics Anonymous' my greatest enemy, on a daily basis is, 'self will', hence the need, to hand my life and will over to the god of my understanding, let that run riot, and I'm dead, literally!

Amazingly I have retained a memory that as many people describe is the equvalent of not one, but a herd of elephants, this might sound like boasting, but it's not, as most alcoholics, in their sobriety are described as being,'friendly, able, intelligent people', in denying my greatest enemy,'self will', and making the best use of my memory I can return to the simple kit of spiritual tools' outlined in the programme of recovery provided in the 12 suggested Steps.

'A society, (or individual, my words) that forgets where it came from, will destroy itself'... Carl Sandburg.