Notices

Sound advice!

Old 11-24-2010, 05:40 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Sound advice!

I recently,for no more reason than I've always been something of an amateur anthropologist with an interest in human behaviour and matters relating to gender ethics joined,'tvChix', an online social networking site dedicated to the Transgendered community and their Admirers. The site offers similar facilities to SRC, including various forums, with one set aside , titled the,'Serious Discussion Forum' with the obvious innotations, having read some of the previous threads and having in fact been invited by a TG, who I was communicating with, seen as one of the doyens of the community I posted my first topic. Titled,'Common traits?' I was attempting by discussion to identify these, with an initial oblique reference to individuals being self absorbed and lacking emopathy, two, as I pointed out of the four classic symptoms of,'autiism' , simply as an introduction with the essence being found in the fact that as' men systemise and women empathise' see ,'The Effective Difference' Baron-Cohen, what effect then did members of the TG community, known as the ,'Third Gender' see in this as regards themselves.

Hoping for constructive comment or critism I was then amazed to find myself subject of a vicious personal attack seemingly based on the premise, which I would find quite ludicrous in any setting, that all TG's were autistic! I never in my wildest dreams said or inferred that.

Undaunted but still licking my wounds from my recent ,'mauling', I submitted a second thread, titled ,'Friendly, able and intelligent,' the thrust of which is that both suffering alcoholics and TG's suffer similar psychological symptoms, guilt, fear, insecurity, self loathing and low self esteem being among them, but on the positive side, sober alcoholics were seen as friendly, able and intelligent people , traits that were perhaps reflected in the TG community. Any hoped for constructive comment or critism disappeared under the torrent of abuse aimed not just at me but my personal spiritual beliefs again based on the premise that this timeI'd insinuated that all TG's were alcoholics, the rationale for this remains a mystery to me!

Result, I've now resignedfrom ,'tvChix' and registered a formal complaint against my tormentors, I'll see what happens.

Reflecting on this venture and and those Buddhist principles that now guide my life I recall in his book,'A Simple Path' the Dalai Lama suggests that it is sometimes better to stick with what you know, those traditions that you were perhaps born into or recieved later in life, e.g. the 12 Steps , simply because as I've found, fundemental Buddhism very often not only compliments but enhances them.

Secondly at one time a student asked him'What would you do if you were confronted by a Samurai warrior, who was aiming an arrow from his bow at your heart?'
He simply replied,'I wouldn't be there.' The obvious explanation being not to, as far as possible, put yourself in areas that are likely to ring disquiet into your existence.

So, whilst it is true that adhering to my simple Christian beliefs and fundemental Buddhist principles I regard all sentient beings no matter their race, class or gender with compassion, patience and tolerance , it seems Dai Lama has expressed some sound advice, for there is little doubt in my mind that for a recovering alcoholic I was on dangerous ground, and worst of all had allowed myself to be in a position where my sobriety was likely to be threatened through the irresponsible behaviour of others. I recall the words,'Remember, we deal with alcohol, cunning, baffling and powerful' it seems, as I now realise, that it doesn't just come in a bottle or can !