Notices

New to Recovery, and SoberRecovery.com

Old 11-16-2010, 09:09 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

New to Recovery, and SoberRecovery.com

Hello all! I just want to start by saying I enjoy reading the forums. You guys have helped me stay clean and sober! I got out of my 21 vacation called rehab about a month ago. I am looking for some advice or inspiration.

When I got to rehab I thought all I had to do was quit drinking and drugging and everything was going to be peachy. However, it was far deeper than that. After about 3 days in recovery I wanted to leave and I was feeling like I wanted to die- I felt hopeless. So they put me on 10 mgs of the antidepressant Lexapro.

I'm happy to say that I don't feel suicidal anymore, whatsoever. I've been dropped down to 7 mgs of lexapro for the last 8 days. I got enrolled in school, just started working, got a sponsor, am going to Intensive Outpatient, I'm working the 12 steps, meetings, and I'm getting along with my family.

I'm having trouble accepting that this is what sobriety is all about. I'm not depressed but I'm not having all that much fun. I still have low confidence. I guess I'm just looking for insight on where YOU were at 2 months into recovery. Does it get better? Am I ever going to build confidence and enjoy being around people? I'm sorry if I'm rambling, any advice would be very much appreciated. God Bless.

Jordan
Old 11-16-2010, 09:24 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
We Do Recover

Hi Jordan! Welcome to SR! This is a great place to find support. Yes, it does get better with time being sober. When I was 2 months into recovery I was still very much a part of the up/down--also referred to as the early roller coaster of sobriety. That has since gotten much smoother. The mind and body will take time to heal and learn how to function properly without alcohol. My socialization skills did improve as far as being able to talk to others without any chemical help. That didn't happen overnight. It was a process. Stay focused on the here and now and keep moving forward. It's all about the journey, not so much about the destination.
Old 11-17-2010, 09:18 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

The Keys to the Kingdom.

Hi, welcome to SRC, if you can get hold of the ,'Big Book' Alcholics Anonymous, 4th Ed., look up the story,'The Keys to the Kingdom', paying particular attention to the paragraph that starts,' A.A.is not a plan for recovery that can be finished and done with.' I think you may just find some very illuminating and useful information, just a bit of constructive advice.
Old 11-17-2010, 12:08 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by 43395 View Post
Hi, welcome to SRC, if you can get hold of the ,'Big Book' Alcholics Anonymous, 4th Ed., look up the story,'The Keys to the Kingdom', paying particular attention to the paragraph that starts,' A.A.is not a plan for recovery that can be finished and done with.' I think you may just find some very illuminating and useful information, just a bit of constructive advice.
Thanks for the advice! I'll check it out right now.
Old 11-17-2010, 12:55 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
We Do Recover

Jordan, I also wanted to suggest (in case you haven't already), to make a post in "Newcomers to Recovery" forum we have here. There you will get more responses and will get more welcomes from other members here. Feel free to keep posting here in this forum too. We do recover.
Old 11-17-2010, 01:41 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Welcome to our recovery community.....

Seems to me that you are heading into a healthy
positive future. Congratulations.....
Old 11-17-2010, 01:54 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome Jordan

It also took me a few months to 'level out' so sounds to me like you're right on track.
I hope you'll post in Newcomers too - you'll get a lot more responses there

D