Notices

My real recovery.

Old 07-24-2010, 02:32 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

My real recovery.

I have now been sober 890 days, my alcoholism was taken from me on the 15th Feb.,200-8 when, aqs I've had to accept, there being no other explanation coming forward, that when I was alone and unaidedby human hand and so debilitated by alcohol I could only crawl on my belly to my bed and cry out to the god of my understanding, I had a 'spiritual experience'.

Naturally, although within the next few days it became apparent that I had no desire for alcohol I did not start to regain my health and sanity immediately, initially for three months I ate healthily, supplumenting my diet with cartons of soya milk, sweets(candy) and cigarettes.

I strengthened my spirituality on a daily basis and still do so that I adhere to my Christian beliefs, Jesus said,"Follow me," and I do, and fundemental Buddhist principles, The Four Noble Truths, suffering, cause of, cessation and enlightenment , to be found in the Eightfold Noble Path, simply put, be good to others and good to yourself.

My life then progressed , nothing grand happened although self will sometimes,snuck in, gotta watch that! Things got better, my financial circumstances stabilised, health problems arose, commensurate with my age,63 yrs, I creak a little, I was doing fine, but there was a nagging sense that although I'm an intelligent, able person, some would describe me as quite a strong, powerful person perhaps reflected in my four previous careers all in the service of my country, my community and those who serve the community.

Just lately though, changes have begun to occur, what in my drinking days I would describe as,'a moment of clarity', now it's just clarity, my strength is returning and I see things as they really are, most importantly these are not,'moments' that passed with what was once alcoholic oblivion, they stay in my memory, I feel stronger as a person, more in control, more awake and aware of the world I live in, this is wonderful.

You see, someone once said,'Most people see the world as they want it to be, there are a few who see the world as it really is.' I was always classed as belonging to the latter, and that's where I belong, when I was drinking I crossed the line, the alcohol 'helped' me to numb the pain and see the world as I wanted it to be, not as it is.

Now, I'm really in recovery, that is strong and effective, helped by my spirituality and the god of my understandinbg. Mike W.
Old 07-24-2010, 02:35 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Grammatical errors.

Apologies for the grammatical errors in the first few lines, 'ags' should be 'as' and the year was 2008. M.