Notices

On the road to victory

Old 07-06-2010, 11:46 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Talking On the road to victory

I'm ex military and seen plus done a lot. for years I've been drinking and did'nt realize how much of an impact the service played it's roll in my drinking. I've been through 5 DUI's. I'm tired and been going to AA alot but that's not enough' been to rehab 2 times in less than a year. once was just for a tune-up and oil change. seen this site before but then and now not sure how it works so here I am.
Old 07-07-2010, 10:21 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Excellent!

Like you I'm ex-military, the strange thing is back in the 60's military life always seemed to impose a certain discipline on our drinking, that is not to say soldiers didn't drink, goes withthe territory right!

The point is, if you are a 'real alcoholic' or simply having problems with your drinking, alcohol isno respecter of your colour, race or creed, niether does it respect you for your rank, title or position in life and I'm sure there's plenty on this site who will endorse that comment and even add to it!

So, I suggest, you try and put that all to one side, just for now, people say AA meetings,'work if you want them to,' and that could spark a massive debate which is not my intention, whatI will say, for me is that the book,'Alcoholics Anonymous' is the only book thats never lied to me, particularly,'The Doctors Opinion' and the frist 164 pages, particularly the Chapter that starts,'Those who THOROUGHLY follow our path,' in the first few paragraphs., and the penultimate para.,'Clear away the wreckage of the past,' I may not have got thewords exactly right but that'sthe gist of it and remember this book wasn't written just by Bill W. there was another 100 men and women, common sense tells you, they can't all be wrong!

And remember, you're free to pick the god of YOUR understanding, Mike W.
Old 07-07-2010, 10:53 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Thanks

Micheal!!!

thanks for your reply. It means a lot tome. I was in from the early 70's to 94. We had laws and guidelines too. but it was taken too seriouse in those days or the beginning.I think the stress I went through for all my time in was hurting me but did'nt realize it. I'm paying for it now. I already am a Big beleaver in AA. I go as much as 4-5 times a week, sometimes even more. I plane my day around meetings. Because of my drinking I'm tied up in court. But that's okay cause it the starte of a new life for me first and then the family. Since I've recieved a responce from you I'll be more. Hu Ra
Old 07-07-2010, 12:23 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Welcome back to SR.....
Glad you remembered where we are.

Thank you for your long military service
good to know you made it into retirement.
"All gave some...some gave all"

I'm wondering if there is a VA facility near you
that might offer counseling? That might be a good
addition to your AA committment.

Keep moving forward...keep posting with us
Old 07-07-2010, 12:27 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

The parachute.

I am glad you attend AA meetings, for me I tried many and didn't settle, perhaps I was distracted by the people etc. so if it works for you, GREAT! I liked the,'Big Book', especially when it was properly explained to me, but that's just me, okay we each follow our own path to a common goal.

So, like it says on the Nike ad.,'Just do it', a day at a time, remember the 12 Steps are only suggested, likened to jumping out of an aeroplane at 20,000 feet, it's suggested that you pull the ripcord on the parachute, you don't have to, it's just asuggestion, know what I mean? Mike W.
Old 07-07-2010, 11:20 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Hi BigButch1, Carol and Michael,
Glad I tapped into this today. Can I just say - its all important. AA, the Big Book, the Steps, meetings, fellowship, a HP/God of your understanding etc. A day at a time, I do what I can, and by doing and not trying to run my show, I have what I will call "enlightenment snaps" - when just out of the blue - I take a leap -strange thing is, it often starts with just that - a "leap of faith". AA has become my life, yes, sometimes all consuming - but then - that's okay - for alcohol was all consuming for near on 30 years. I was born in 1962 - came out of a coma (alcoholic coma) - in 2008 -thought - I was awake - but only recently, have I realised - I've been resting - now its time to really wake up.

Love and good wishes
xoxo