Notices

What I would miss. . . .

Old 06-16-2010, 11:17 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

What I would miss. . . .

What I would miss in what is now my third year of sobriety is the ability to wake up with a clear head, to stroll into the kitchen and make my morning cup of tea, to sip it quietly and peacefully, my body not disturbed by the effects of alcohol, my mind not racing with thoughts of financial insecurity for the day, for the week, for the month , how am I going to buy my booze, cigarettes and may be a little food. How long does this go on? will my family , in the shape of my son, stay close to me? I'm nmot really going to end uplike those guys at the War Memorial, sitting on the steps, passing their,'brews' around? Of course, I can be reassured that my engaging personality overides the fact that the very obvious signs of my alcoholism , stinking breath, unkempt appearance, unsteady gait so that everybody loves me and I'm still the,'babe magnet' of my youth.

Now I'm sober and in recovery, s'funny I don't miss any of these things, I would miss being sober, on a daily basis though.

There is an old saying, "A man who knows himself, knows God," fgor me that simply interprets as to the fact that I know I'm a recovering alcoholic, I know what I am , in following the 12 Steps , making spiritual progress on a daily basis I begin to know the god of my understanding. I'm not yet old enough to be wise, I am old enough to be philosophical and to know that I'd miss my sobriety and all that goes with it!Mike W.
Old 06-17-2010, 12:52 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Sober 6/5/2008

I would miss the way I'm never afraid to answer the phone.

Or drive somewhere.

Or do anything after nightfall.

I would miss how when someone now says, "Hey, let's..." I can now say, "Yeah, let's..." and that I can just assume I'll be rested and not the least hungover at any given point in time.

Thanks, Jah, I don't have to live my life that way any more!