Notices

Recognition of self.

Old 02-23-2010, 12:04 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Recognition of self.

I am powerless over people, places and institutions.

The cornerstone of my existence is compassion, I have suffered greatly at the hands of others on two occasions in the past 19 years and whilst I cannot set aside my alcoholism, it has to be accepted that the individuals concerned both suffered such mental disability that they had a distorted view of reality. However, this does not mean I have to act towards others with anything less than the compassion ofwhich I write.

I realise now, in my sobriety that even whilst still drinking I began my spiritual journey that I continue on to this day and will always do so. Undertaking this journey, slowly, sometimes painfully and against my self will, a characteristic seen in all alcoholics I changed my perspective on life and my attitude towards life and other people with the result that two years ago I underwent, what Dr.Silkwoth in,'the Big Book' described as a,'psychic change' an explanation I have to accept for no other has been forthcoming, so that I was relieved of my alcoholism.

Reflecting on all this I now realise that whatI had done was recognise myself, all that I had been given, all that I was worth and more importantly all I could do for others. Mike W.