Notices

My favourite story.

Old 01-26-2010, 11:13 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

My favourite story.

In the book,'Alcoholics Anonymous' (4th Ed.) Page268 my favourite story is,'The Keys of the Kingdom', I particularly like the paragraph that starts on page 278 withthe words,'A.A.is not a plan for recovery that can be finished and done with.'

Frans Kafka, the noted psychologist said,' If you sit still, life has no choice but to come and writhe at you feet.'

I believe both these statements to be true, since my alcoholism was taken from me, previously dovumented in the thread,'Having had a spiritual experience,' I was sober at my mother's passing in August last year and on Moday my son informed me that his partner is pregnant with their first child, all being well, one day at a time I will be sober at the birth expected late June.

I have already 4 grandchildren by my estranged eldest daughter from my first marriage that I have never yet seen, no doubt my alcoholism played a major part in that and I have to accept they will grow up thinking their absent grandfather was a drunk.

C.S.Lewis, an atheist who later became a devout and active Christian and who also wrote the,'Tales of Narnia' books, in one of his lectures suggested that God didn't want us to be unhappy, He was like a sculpture, who shapoed us into the whole person we should be, in my case he hit the chisel a bit to hard when in 1991 and again in 1998 my life was hit by two,'tsunamis' and I literally lost everything but in the first instance my beloved son, I 'bled' copiously on each of these occasions.

On reflection and in sobriety, it will be two years on Feb.,15th the statements I made when I started this thread are true, I have been given another chance, the God of my understanding, the sculptor hasn't quite finished his work, the taps on the chisel are quieter and not as forceful, a gentle shaping always making steady progress towards the finished article , which will never be perfect but it will be me. Mike W.