Notices

Reflections

Old 12-24-2009, 11:27 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Reflections

Yesterday evening, Christmas Eve an old friend and former lover rang me just to see I was okay, I've now been sober 669 days, as part of our conversation I reflected on the fact, that financially I was fine, with money both in the bank and in my wallet and an income that was steradily improving, my flat, the first stable home I'd had for many a long year was clean and tidy with the cupboards well stocked with food. Even though I live alone my son planned to visit me the following day, we briefly reflected on the horrors that I would have inflicted on myself had I still been drinking, I'd not only have not had any money, I would have owed everyone and relied on my long suffering relatives to at least feed me on Christmas day and slip me some money niether would have I had quite the same standard of accomodation, that's for sure.
Whilst it did not form part of our conversation I made sure I stayed close to the God of my understanding last thing yesterday night and first thing this morning when I woke.
The amazing thing about all this, apart from staying in recovery and trying to make spiritual progress I was never really conscious of it all happening. . . . . . and then the 'phone rang. Mike W.
One last thing, my friends father , an alcoholic commited suicide after assaulting her mother, she was a child at the time. It seems angels appear in all sorts of shapes and sizes and when you least expect them.M.