Notices

yet another drunk birthday

Old 08-02-2008, 12:00 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

yet another drunk birthday

Where I was when I found this site: doing a search online, hungover, yet again, another birthday come and gone...
the 38th one this time. As I am closing in on 40 and said on another post, "how friggin long are you gonna let this go on??"
After near 25 years of binge drinking, I decided it was time to quit. Of course, I have had that thought for a long time really, off and on. But the past year or so I have really known.
I had a big party at my house, which was a LOT of work with cooking and preparing and what not. But of course because I started drinking I got busy with making drinks and then that was it. Drinking profusely throughout the night, this time mixed drinks and beer and shots, into the early morning, went to bed sometime at dawn. Woke up five or so hours later feeling terrible, shaking, weary, and just a general feeling of crap. Which everyone here is familiar with. And like others I have tried many a hangover cure. Including hair of the dog. Which I didn't try on the day I came here. Today will mark day 6 of no drinking. It's saturday today, a week ago was the party. Seems forever ago now...
but that's the voice in my head telling me that I don't "really" have to quit...
As I said on another post though, if I was a "normal" drinker then I would never have been or become a binge drinker. So there it is. the truth of the matter. I am an addict, plain and simple.
I am very very happy to have found this site, there are a great many caring people here and it's nice to be part of a group of people who have all come to the same conclusion! and from around the world at that!
thanks for reading and please feel free to send me a message if you'd like to talk. in sober solidarity, nobingealready
Old 08-02-2008, 08:03 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by nobingealready View Post
Where I was when I found this site: doing a search online, hungover, yet again, another birthday come and gone...
the 38th one this time. As I am closing in on 40 and said on another post, "how friggin long are you gonna let this go on??"
After near 25 years of binge drinking, I decided it was time to quit. Of course, I have had that thought for a long time really, off and on. But the past year or so I have really known.
I had a big party at my house, which was a LOT of work with cooking and preparing and what not. But of course because I started drinking I got busy with making drinks and then that was it. Drinking profusely throughout the night, this time mixed drinks and beer and shots, into the early morning, went to bed sometime at dawn. Woke up five or so hours later feeling terrible, shaking, weary, and just a general feeling of crap. Which everyone here is familiar with. And like others I have tried many a hangover cure. Including hair of the dog. Which I didn't try on the day I came here. Today will mark day 6 of no drinking. It's saturday today, a week ago was the party. Seems forever ago now...
but that's the voice in my head telling me that I don't "really" have to quit...
As I said on another post though, if I was a "normal" drinker then I would never have been or become a binge drinker. So there it is. the truth of the matter. I am an addict, plain and simple.
I am very very happy to have found this site, there are a great many caring people here and it's nice to be part of a group of people who have all come to the same conclusion! and from around the world at that!
thanks for reading and please feel free to send me a message if you'd like to talk. in sober solidarity, nobingealready
Just remember... You recover at the same speed that a tree grows...

Go now... Find a seedling tree... And transplant it into a bucket... the speed that it grows... Is the speed that it heals...

It goes through slow growth dormant winters... Just like how you'll go through times of sorrow and suffering... But just like how you have to attend to the journey of your recovery... You also have to attend to watering and care of the tree.

The 27 foot pine tree in my back yard says hello!
Old 08-07-2008, 12:56 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

that's the voice in my head telling me that I don't "really" have to quit...
I think you've uncovered something...when you talk about the voice in your head. The voice will tell you that it is ok to drink, that you can control it, wouldn't it be nice if..., remember the good times when you drunk? etc

Recognizing that voice and either presenting it with arguments or dismissing it worked wonders for me. I don't get the voice anymore because it has become weaker and has given up trying to influence me.

I am now completely comfortable around alcohol and am never tempted by it, because I know that alcohol means the destruction of everything which I value.

Good luck with your recovery, you can do it if you really want to.
Old 10-27-2008, 05:14 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Excellent posts

Great posts guys.