Notices

Where I was when I found SR

Old 05-28-2008, 09:10 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Where I was when I found SR

It was in March this year. I'd just come back from rehab for my drinking problem. Problem was, they wanted me to stay four weeks and I left after only 12 days. I was lonely, homesick, missed my dogs and kids, and last but not least, I wanted to do things 'my way'. No surprise that a relapse wasn't too long in catching up with me. I drank, got sober, lived thru too many withdrawals, relapsed, sobered up, you get the picture. My longest period being sober was 32 days, then ,surprise, another relapse. I had periods of a few days to a couple weeks, but couldn't make my sobriety 'stick'.

Finally in mid May after realizing for the last time that my way wasn't working, I begged the substance abuse agency in my small city to send me back one more time. I said I'd stay four weeks, tho that would mean missing daughter's hs graduation. She said it was ok mom, just go get better.

Surprise! THey would only pay for five days detox. So I came home and am trying to rebuild my life for myself and my kids and dogs. But this time is different that the first two times cause I finally understood the concept of surrender and am no longer fighting demon alcohol cause I know he'll always win. So I stay out of the ring so I won't get battered any more.

AFter admitting months ago that I was alcoholic, and many starts and stops, I finallly "get it" and have hope that I'll be able to stay sober this time.

The people here have helped me tremendously in my struggle, always supporting me and urging me to 'start again'. I don't want to let myself down anymore. I'm sober to stay.:bounce

:ghug THanks everybody!
Old 05-28-2008, 11:41 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

least,
you've come a long way baby. You sound so different nowadays! Congrats!
KJ
Old 10-18-2008, 05:58 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

That was back in May, I still didn't 'get it', but fortunately I got the message and have been sober since July 14th. Not afraid of relapses either, I think I had enough relapses to last me forever so I don't need to relapse any more. Besides I like myself a whole lot better sober.

After my last relapse I was so afraid I'd never achieve sobriety, unless in short periods. But I was so afraid I wouldn't be able to get out sober, much less alive. Here I am, 97 days after my last drink, and doing much better and have faith that I can stay sober one day at a time for as long as I want.

I'm glad I kept trying.
Old 10-20-2008, 11:36 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Me too brother.
Old 10-20-2008, 11:37 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Oops, sorry, sister!
Old 11-03-2008, 06:47 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Victory through surrender

I drank/used for most of my life. I thought I was destined to be another statistic, four rehabs, detoxes, psych-ward, etc., really bright future. Lost my wife of thirteen years to my addictions. What was it going to take for me to get sober? At last I realized and accepted surrender/letting go. By letting go of everything in my life, down to the way I thought, I found that freedom. The things I was unwilling to let go of would be the very things that got me high again. If it is supposed to come back, good or bad, it will. The rest is history to gain from. It was my fourth rehab where my surrender happened. My wife of thirteen years, divorced 5and a half are together again. Victory through surrender.......for nearly two years now