Notices

When do u hit bottom?

Old 11-13-2007, 12:10 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Question When do u hit bottom?

I am married to a man who is a severe alcoholic. He is sweet, funny, and hard working when sober but when he drinks he doesn't know how to stop for one. He has punched a whole in the windshield of my car twice, pushed me, blocked me from leaving the house, called me horrible names, got a DUI, involved in a hit and run accident while drunk, got into fights, broken lamps, windows, mirrors and on and on..... What the hell. This has all happened in the 3 1/2 years we have been together. He has made numerous promises and even said he would quit completely 10or more times. The longest I've seen him go without a drink is one week. Oh and I am 4 mos. pregnant. I am going to leave him one day soon when I am ready. I don't know what else to do and it breaks my heart. I am all to familiar with all this b/c my dad was an alcoholic who had everything and he chose to drink himself to death. I have very little hope. TO ALL OF YOU RECOVERING ALCOHOLICS-- HOW AND WHEN DO YOU REACH BOTTOM? WHAT DO I DO TO HELP HIM AND MYSELF? TO LOVED ONES OF ALCOHOLICS-- ANY ADVICE?

rlynnh in California
Old 11-13-2007, 12:18 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I am sorry for your suffering. I think everyones bottom is different, for me it wasn't a specific day or event that happened, it was a feeling I had. I knew I was going to die. I knew it because I started to think of ways to kill myself. I know that sounds scary, believe me it was! I hope you find the advice you need. Best of luck to you and your baby!
Old 11-14-2007, 10:15 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I am not an alcoholic, but I know that you will know when enough is enough. Try getting involved in a alanon meeting, it will teach you to detach when it gets ugly, and take care of you. Think of your beautiful baby on the way. Would you want them to live in that environment growing as a child? What message would you be sending to them.....you do not deserve a better life? I do not mean to sound cold, but I have been there, and it is so not worth the tears. You are worth more than that and you deserve a whole person to ease your life. If they are creating more havoc than they are enhancing, think twice about your position.
Hope this helps you have some strength.
Mendingheart